To help students and families finalize their plans, we are providing some additional details about the June 12 Commencement event.
Dear Class of 2020:
We are eagerly looking forward to welcoming you back to Oxy for your in-person Commencement ceremony at 10 a.m. on Saturday, June 12 in Jack Kemp Stadium.
To help you finalize your plans, I want to provide some additional details about the event. More than 230 classmates have already registered; if you haven't yet contacted us, please let us know if you plan to attend by using this form by Friday, June 4.
As previously announced, every member of the class in attendance will hear their name called and walk across the stage. Because of state and county health and safety restrictions still in place, all attendees will be required to wear masks and all seating will be socially distanced. Here are some other important details:
- Each member of the class will receive three wristbands (our equivalent of tickets) for guests.
- Cap and gowns will be provided at no cost and can be ordered using this form. Guest wristbands can be picked up with your cap and gown at the Oxy Bookstore on Thursday, June 10 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. or Friday, June 11 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Please contact the Oxy Bookstore at email@example.com for more information.
- The College has set up a fund to provide up to $400 to help defray the travel expenses of those class members arriving from out of town. This financial support is available for those who will be travelling more than 120 miles to participate. The deadline for submitting applications is June 4. Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kemp Stadium doors will open at 9 a.m. We are asking graduates to arrive one hour earlier, at 8 a.m., to have their portraits taken for free and to line up for the processional. Please report to the Bell Field parking lot, across from Rush Gymnasium.
- The celebration, which we expect will run less than two hours, will be livestreamed for families and students who are unable to attend.
- For students and guests seeking local accommodations, the College has secured Oxy-specific discounts at local hotels. Campus housing is not available to students for this event.
For anyone who is unable to join us in June, the College plans to offer you future in-person opportunities. We are still working out the details, but our plan is that any student from the Class of 2020 who would like to walk on stage and hear their name read aloud with family in attendance will be able to do so. This would conceivably take place during a future Commencement weekend, beginning in 2022.
Congratulations, Class of 2020!