The School Food Convening will bring together a diverse group of organizations and individuals in the greater Los Angeles area that are focused on improving the health and well-being of students and their families. The event will provide information about school food programs, policy and actions you can take to improve school meals. The event will also include advocacy training on how to build support for a particular issue or policy.
- Learn more about school food policies and best practices
- Support efforts to improve the health and well-being of students
- Build your advocacy skills
- Network with other organizations focused on health and wellness in the greater Los Angeles area
Why School Food?
- The federal school nutrition programs, such as the National School Lunch and School Breakfast programs, increase access to nutritious food for children. Nutritious school meals not only have a positive impact on student health but also academic achievement. Healthy diets are critical for reducing obesity and diet-related diseases such as diabetes.
- Over 2 million low-income students in California participate in the National School Lunch Program. Over 560,000 of these children are in Los Angeles County and over 190,000 reside in each of Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. (See State & County Profiles. link)
- Ensuring school meals are nutritious and accessible helps to ensure that California kids are healthy and successful!
Who should attend?
Organizations and individuals interested in:
- Learning more about school food programs and policy and their impact on student health and academic achievement.
- Building advocacy skills – learning how to build support around an issue or policy.
- Taking action to improve the health and well-being of students, their families and the community.
- Networking with other organizations in the greater Los Angeles area.
- Anyone passionate about student wellness and nutrition!
We would like to extend a special invitation to organizations partnering with or working within Boyle Heights, Central Santa Ana, Long Beach, and South Los Angeles Building Healthy Communities sites. link
How much does the convening cost?
This convening is free of charge and lunch will be provided! Please RSVP. link