With the recent increase of the COVID-19 Delta variant, we are updating our Dining Services policies to protect the health and safety of faculty, students and staff.
Dear Oxy Community,
With the recent increase of the COVID-19 Delta variant, we are updating our Dining Services policies to protect the health and safety of faculty, students and staff. Unlike classrooms or other indoor meeting and work spaces where individuals can remain masked, communal dining by its nature does not allow for continuous masking. Therefore, after consulting with our medical experts, we are taking steps to reduce crowding in our dining halls, especially as we begin the semester.
Effective Monday, August 16 until further notice, access to indoor dining will be restricted to individuals with an Oxy ID. Indoor seating will be reduced to roughly 45% in the Marketplace and the Tiger Cooler, which is scheduled to open Aug. 22 (see fall operating hours.) In addition, food will not be served at indoor meetings, receptions and other events, the exception being when food and beverage service can be provided at a nearby outdoor space.
All members of the Oxy community should follow these guidelines while eating with others on campus:
- If you are dining with others, consider doing so outdoors, if possible. New outdoor seating is now available in the Olive Grove, as well as on Branca Patio and outside the Tiger Cooler. The College is also planning to install tents throughout lower campus by the time new student move-in begins on August 23.
- With many first-year and sophomore students and families arriving to campus for the first time, this policy means that family members will not be permitted in the dining facilities during Orientation and move-in. Students will be able to order food for family members that can be eaten outside. Families are also welcome to enjoy the Coffee Cart outside the Bookstore, and the many dining options available in the surrounding neighborhoods, many within walking distance.
- Tiger Takeout, our contactless dining option, will resume Aug. 30. Meals are ordered ahead of time and can be picked up on Branca Patio.
- When dining indoors, remain masked at all times except when actively eating and drinking. This includes waiting in line and walking to and from an eating location.
- Be aware of surroundings in the environment, especially indoors, when deciding where to sit while you eat. Please follow any signage or indicators of permitted seating locations and refrain from moving chairs around to increase table capacity.
- Minimize periods of time where multiple people are eating within the same communal space
- Remember to practice good hygiene before eating, including washing or sanitizing your hands thoroughly.
Thank you for doing your part to protect yourself and our community. We will continue to monitor conditions and will adjust this guidance as necessary. We look forward to a safe and productive fall semester.
COVID Operations Group
Sharla Fett, Faculty Council President, Professor of American History
Rob Flot, Vice President for Student Affairs & Dean of Students
Amos Himmelstein, Vice President & Chief Operating Officer
Nora Kahn, General Counsel
Sara Semal, Senior Director - Emmons Wellness Center
Marty Sharkey, Vice President of Communications & Institutional Initiatives
Wendy Sternberg, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College
James Uhrich, Vice President for Information Technology Services & Chief Information Officer