The Luce Scholars Program funds individual professional placements in Asia for seniors and recent alumni who have had limited exposure to Asia.
NOTE: For 2021-2022, the Luce Scholars Program will not be selecting scholars. Scholar selection is expected to resume in 2022-2023.
The Luce Scholars Program funds individual professional placements in Asia a year for 15-18 seniors or recent alumni with little or no exposure to Asia. It hopes to offer Scholars fresh perspectives and cultural insights through their immersive work experience.
In order to apply, a candidate must:
- be U.S. citizens
- not have reached their 30th birthday by July 1st of the year they enter the program
- have earned or plan to earn a bachelor's degree by July 1st of the year they enter the program
- be in good physical health
- have NOT majored in Asian Studies or spent more than 18 weeks in one or more countries in which Luce Scholars are placed
Oxy Application Process:
1. Contact Jennifer Locke (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Office of National and International Fellowships over the summer or early fall to let her know you are interested in applying.
2. Choose four recommenders and let them know the deadline for letters is September 30. These letters should be submitted through Luce's website.
3. Start an application on the Luce website (see Start the Application under Application Documents here: https://www.hluce.org/programs/luce-scholars/application-guidelines/). Complete a draft of your application, including uploading a personal statement and transcript, and hit submit by September 30.
4. Interview with an on-campus committee over Zoom in October.
5. If nominated by Oxy, work with the Office of National and International Fellowships to revise and finalize your application by the national deadline.