Rhodes Scholarships fund two years of graduate study at Oxford for high-achieving students.
Intent to Apply Deadline: April 10, 2023
Preliminary Application: May 29, 2023
Revised Application due to Oxy Committee: August 21, 2023
Campus Interviews: early September
National Deadline: TBA (usually early October)
Rhodes Scholarships fund two years of graduate study at Oxford for students with outstanding academic achievements, excellent character, commitment to the public good, and demonstrated leadership potential.
In order to apply, a candidate must:
- have a minimum 3.7 GPA
- be at least 18 but not yet 24 years of age
- have received or be planning to receive your bachelor's degree no later than October 1 of the year after you apply
Note: The Rhodes Scholarship is no longer restricted to U.S. citizens. Applicants may apply through a number of additional Rhodes-eligible countries, or through the new Rhodes Global Scholarship. DACA students may also apply through the U.S. Rhodes process. Note that different countries may have different national deadlines, although Oxy's process will remain the same.
Oxy Application Process:
To learn more about applying for graduate fellowships through Oxy's process, please view a recording of our spring 2023 information session.
1. By April 10: Complete the Intent to Apply Google form. You will then meet one-on-one with the Director of National and International Fellowships to discuss your application plans.
2. By May 29: Complete a draft of your Rhodes essay and email it as a Word doc or Google doc to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that you cannot receive feedback on your essay, but we will need to receive a draft to show you are making progress on your application.
3. June-August: Attend group revision workshops and one-on-one meetings with the Fellowships Director. Work on revising your application. Applicants are expected to revise their drafts multiple times. Order a transcript through the Transcript Request for Oxy Fellowships, making sure you indicate that you would like the transcript emailed to yourself so you can save the PDF. Please send this document to your recommendation writers to help them prepare for our August 21st deadline.
4. By August 21 at 11:59pm: submit a draft of your application to our committee. Create a cover sheet for our committee that includes your name, the city and state of your permanent residence, and the name of your proposed program at Oxford. Next, create a single PDF with your cover sheet, a 1-2 page resume, and your personal and academic statements. Email this PDF and your official transcript to email@example.com by August 21st. Please also ask your recommenders to send copies of their letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 21st. Finally, you must also complete this waiver form to be considered for Oxy nomination.
5. Early September: Participate in the campus nomination process, which may involve an interview.
6. Mid to late September: If nominated by the college, work to revise and submit your application by the national deadline.