The COVID Operations Group (COG) reminds everyone about the importance of continuing to practice common-sense COVID safety measures, especially while socializing or traveling.
To the Occidental Community:
As we head toward fall break next week, Oxy’s COVID Operations Group (COG) wants to remind everyone about the importance of continuing to practice common-sense COVID safety measures, especially while socializing or traveling. Because of our collective efforts, Oxy’s positivity rate has remained low this semester, even since we have moved to a less strict masking policy. Current COVID testing and case data is updated weekly and can be found here.
We encourage you to continue exercising caution during this time to protect yourself and others in the Oxy community, and strongly recommend the following:
- Wear a high-quality mask indoors and in crowded outdoor areas and events.
- Get your COVID bivalent booster vaccination, if eligible (at least two months since your last COVID vaccine dose). Emmons is planning another booster clinic on Oct. 14.
- Get your annual flu shot. As masks come off, influenza and other viruses are more likely to spread. Emmons is planning another flu shot clinic on Oct. 18.
- There is no recommended waiting period between getting a COVID vaccine and other vaccines.
- Get tested if you are experiencing symptoms or if you were exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID.
- The AGC is open for PCR testing Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Students experiencing symptoms should get tested on campus right away.
- Employees who are experiencing COVID symptoms should stay home and get tested by their primary care provider, off-campus testing site or pharmacy, or via at-home test. If an employee begins to display COVID symptoms while at work, they should test on campus if possible, and then go home until a negative test is confirmed.
- Anyone who tests positive outside of Oxy should email firstname.lastname@example.org for next steps.
We are grateful for your active participation in our campus-wide effort to keep Oxy healthy, and to promote and maintain our community of care. Thank you for a fantastic start to the 2022-23 academic year, and for taking care of yourself and each other.
COVID Operations Group (COG)
Harry J. Elam, Jr., President
Sharla Fett, Faculty Council President, Professor of American History
Rob Flot, Vice President for Student Affairs & Dean of Students
Amos Himmelstein, Vice President & Chief Operating Officer
Nora Kahn, General Counsel
Devon Sakamoto, Assistant Dean of Students for Emmons Wellness Center
Wendy Sternberg, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College
Jim Tranquada, Director of Communications
James Uhrich, Vice President for Information Technology Services & Chief Information Officer