Occidental College conferred a number of special awards honoring outstanding members of the Class of 2020.
2020 Student Leadership Awards
Sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs, this year’s seniors were nominated by staff and faculty within three categories: Endowed Awards, Individual Leadership Awards, and Student Organization & Programming Awards. Read full news story
2020 Tiger Club Athletics Awards
Since 1987, the Tiger Club has presented annual awards to Occidental’s most outstanding scholar-athletes. Criteria for nominations include a minimum GPA of 3.0 and high achievement in intercollegiate athletics at the varsity level. Read full news story
Class of 2020 Fulbright Award Winners
- Camille Brzechffa, Research Award to Poland
- John Chen, alternate for English Teaching Assistantship to Vietnam
- Habiba Hopson, English Teaching Assistantship to Colombia
- Darla Howell, English Teaching Assistantship to Taiwan
- Thomas Robertson, Research Award to Burkina Faso
Davis Projects for Peace
Luce Scholarship (finalist)
The Lauter Prize
The Philosophy Department presents Jacob Eggert with the 2019-20 Lauter Prize for the best senior comprehensive project in philosophy for his paper "Confidence and Insecurity in the Realm of Value."
UEP Student Community Action Awards
These awards honor graduating seniors who, by action and leadership, have contributed to advancing community-driven programs and policies to build healthy, thriving communities and achieve social, economic and environmental justice. View a video-based presentation of the awards
- Ryder Bennell
- Ivy Denham-Conroy
- Sarah Lasoff
- Maggie Smart-McCabe
- Kayla Williams
Marianne Ruuth Award
Stella Ramos of the Religious Studies Department has won the Ruuth Award for the best senior comps, college-wide, for 2020. Her winning paper is entitled "Why Salmon Matter: Subverting Settler Colonialism in Environmental Justice Scholarship Through a Study of the Seattle Salmon Homecoming Celebration."
Education Department Scholars Awards
- Kayla Williams: "Education for Liberation: A Critical Analysis of the Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools and Their Ability to Transform Education."
- Stella Ramos: "Why Salmon Matter: Subverting Settler Colonialism in Environmental Justice Scholarship Through a Study of the Seattle Salmon Homecoming Celebration."
Mortar Board Awards
Mortar Board Senior Honorary coordinates the selection of several awards celebrated during Class Day. The Class of 2020 is honoring the following:
- Lucille Y. Gilman Memorial Award for Outstanding Senior: Kayla Williams and Aracely Ruvalcaba
- Mortar Board Award for the Promotion of Women: August Barringer and Kayla Williams
- Mortar Board Award for the Promotion of Multiculturalism: JT Tinsley
- Loftsgordon Teaching Award: Malek Moazzam-Doulat ’92, Non-Tenure Track Assistant Professor, Critical Theory & Social Justice
Critical Theory & Social Justice Department Awards
- Best Senior Comps: Skye Reed
- Kai Allen Award: Hope Roehrs
Each year, the Dean of Students recognizes seniors who, through their involvement on- and off-campus, embody Oxy’s four pillars of Equity, Excellence, Service and Community. Read about the winners