Students are responsible for knowing the following:
Occidental College takes student safety very seriously. To this end, the following policy and procedure has been established to assist in locating Occidental College students living in Occidental College owned on-campus housing who, based on the facts and circumstances known to Occidental, have been determined to be missing.
At the beginning of each academic semester, Occidental College will inform students residing in on-campus housing that Occidental will notify a parent, guardian or one or more individuals selected by the student not later than 24 hours after the time the student is determined to be missing. This information will include the following:
Students have the option of identifying one or more individuals to be contacted by Occidental not later than 24 hours after the time the student has been determined to be missing by Occidental Campus Safety or our local law enforcement agency. Students can register this contact information confidentially through the Residential Education and Housing Services Office.
This information will only be accessible to authorized campus officials and may not be disclosed, except to law enforcement personnel in furtherance of a missing person investigation.
If the student is under 18 years of age, and not an emancipated individual, Occidental is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian within 24 hours after the time that the student is determined to be missing, in addition to any additional contact person(s) designated by the student.
Occidental will notify the appropriate law enforcement agency not later than 24 hours after the time that the student is determined to be missing.
If Occidental Campus Safety or law enforcement personnel has been notified and makes a determination that a student who is the subject of a missing person report has been missing for more than 24 hours and has not returned to campus, Occidental will initiate the emergency contact procedures in accordance with the student's designation.
Occidental College will follow the following notification procedure for a missing student who resides in on-campus housing:
- Anyone receiving or making a missing student report should immediately report the information to Occidental Campus Safety by calling 323-259-2599.
- Any official missing person report relating to this student shall be referred immediately to Occidental Campus Safety.
- Once Occidental receives a missing student report the following offices will be notified: Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students; Residential Education and Housing Services; Occidental Campus Safety
- If Occidental College, after investigating the official report, determines the student has been missing for 24+ hours, Occidental will contact the local law enforcement agency in addition to the individual(s) identified by the student and the custodial parent or legal guardian if the student is under 18 and not emancipated.
Upon notification from any entity that any student may be missing, Occidental College may use any of the following resources to assist in locating the student. These resources may be used in any order and combination.
- Through the REHS Office, the Resident Advisors may be asked to assist in physically locating the student by keying into the student's assigned room and talking with known associates.
- Campus Safety may search on campus public locations to find the student (library, cafeteria, etc.).
- Campus Safety may issue an ID picture to assist in identifying the missing student.
- The Dean's Office may try to contact known friends, family, or faculty members for last sighting or additional contact information.
- Student Affairs or academic departments may be contacted to seek information on last sighting or other contact information.
- Campus Safety or the REHS Office may access card access logs to determine last use of the card and track the card for future uses.
- Campus Safety may access vehicle registration information for vehicle location and distribution to authorities.
- ITS may be asked to look up email logs for last login and use of Occidental College email system.
If there is any indication of foul play, the local police department will immediately be contacted for assistance.
Last saved August 4, 2016