Students are responsible for knowing the following REHS policies:
This section summarizes information about living on campus and details policies specific to residential communities. In addition to general College Policies, violations of Residential Education and Housing Services Policies are subject to disciplinary action.
Rights of Residents
Although policies can guide the creation of a safe, clean, comfortable, and productive living environment, the ultimate responsibility for achieving this goal lies with the residents. A resident who chooses to live on campus must respect the building in which they live, as well as the rights of individuals living in the community.
Residents at Occidental College may reasonably expect the following:
- The right to freedom from discrimination (gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical ability, size, etc.)
- The right to individual choice, provided that the rights of other residents are not infringed upon
- The right to personal privacy and respect for personal belongings
- The right to a safe and secure living environment
- The right to a clean and comfortable living environment
- The right to reasonable quiet, to maintain an environment that supports the needs to sleep and study in the residence halls
- The right to expect that all members of the community abide by, and work together to enforce, other policies and uphold other expectations while protecting each other's rights
- The right to a smoke free environment in all residence halls, including in one's own room
Residents who are present in a room where a policy is being violated will be included on any written reports of the incident and may be held responsible for the policy violation. It is the responsibility of all residents to know these policies and to remove themselves from any situation in which a violation is taking place.
Last updated July 2022
Missing Student Policy and Procedure
Painting Murals in Common Areas
Promotion and Advertising Guidelines
Room Entry and Search of Rooms
Sharp and Hazardous Material Disposal
Sports within the Residence Halls
Suite Style Common Space Decorating