Community-based learning and research are relevant components of public health.
There are many public health issues and challenges that cannot be fully understood without hands on experiences within affected communities. Occidental public health students have many opportunities for internships, community-based research, study abroad and other ways to engage and learn in the field.
Some good resources on campus include the Urban & Environmental Policy Institute (UEPI), the International Programs office, and the Hameetman Career Center. Courses to consider include KINE 398: Community Health and Fitness Research and UEP 307: Public Health Practicum. During the summer students can also apply to Oxy's Summer Affordable Housing Internship and the Summer Public Health Internship. The list of programs below are primarily offered in the summer and application deadlines vary from January to March.
- Summer Public Health Internship at Occidental College Urban & Environmental Policy Institute (SPHI) (Application open from 1/22/19 to 2/28/19)
Domestic summer programs
- Summer Public Health Scholars Program (SPHSP) at Columbia University (Application open until )
- Occupational Health Internship Program (OHIP) (Application open until )
- Summer Enrichment Program (SEP) at the University of Michigan School of Public Health (Application open until )
- Future Public Health Leaders Program (FPHLP) (Application open until 1/31/19)
- Summer Internships in Biological Sciences in Public Health at Harvard University Chan School of Public Health (TBD)
- Diversity Summer Internship Program for Undergraduates (DSIP) at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Application open now for 2019)
- Health Career Connection (HCC) Summer Internship (Application open now for 2019: Early Decision Deadline on 11/26/18, Final Deadline 12/26/18)
- Minority Training Program in Cancer Control Research (MTPCCR) at UCLA Fielding School of Public Health (TBD)
- Collegiate Leaders in Environmental Health (CLEH) (TBD)
- Youth Equity Model of Practice (YHEMOP) (TBD)
Domestic year-long programs
- Emerson Hunger Fellows Program, Congressional Hunger Center (CHC) (Application open until 1/14/19)
- Community Clinic Association of Los Angeles County (CCALAC) AmeriCorps VISTA
program (Not currently accepting applications)
International summer program
- Comprehensive Rural Health Project, India (CRHP) (TBD)
International year-long programs