A final fall semester update from the Covid Operations Group regarding continued adherence to Covid-related safety measures.
To the Occidental Community:
As the fall semester comes to an end, Oxy’s COVID Operations Group (COG) wants to remind everyone about the importance of continued adherence to safety measures to prevent COVID during these final days of the semester and through winter break. While the numbers of positive tests and people in isolation on campus remain low as of now, cases of both COVID and flu are rising in L.A. County. We urge everyone who hasn't yet received the latest bivalent booster or flu shot to do so as soon as possible. We also want to alert everyone to the abbreviated on-campus COVID testing schedule for the next week.
On-Campus PCR Testing
On-campus PCR testing in the AGC will be open the following days and times next week:
- Monday, Dec. 12, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 13, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 14, 10 a.m. - noon
- No PCR testing Thursday Dec. 15 or Friday Dec. 16
- COVID testing will be closed for the winter break and reopen Tuesday, Jan. 3, at 10 a.m.
- Visit https://myturn.ca.gov/ to set up an appointment or to find walk-in clinics for COVID testing, COVID boosters, and flu vaccines.
- Pharmacies like CVS, Walgreens, and Rite-Aid are continuing to offer COVID testing, and both COVID and flu vaccinations.
COVID Safety Measures
We encourage everyone to continue exercising caution during this time to protect yourself and others, and strongly recommend the following:
- Wear a high-quality mask indoors and in crowded outdoor spaces. Exercise extra caution when traveling.
- Get your COVID bivalent booster vaccination, if eligible (at least two months since your last COVID vaccine dose).
- Get your annual flu shot.
- There is no recommended waiting period between getting a COVID vaccine and other vaccines.
Thank you for a wonderful fall semester, and for taking care of yourself and each other. We will continue to monitor L.A. County COVID levels and policies, and will provide the campus community with any updates or changes to campus guidance in early January.
Wishing you good health over winter break and in the new year,
COVID Operations Group (COG):
Harry J. Elam, Jr., President
Sharla Fett, Faculty Council President, Professor of American History
Rob Flot, Vice President for Student Affairs & Dean of Students
Amos Himmelstein, Vice President & Chief Operating Officer
Nora Kahn, General Counsel
Devon Sakamoto, Assistant Dean of Students for Emmons Wellness Center
Wendy Sternberg, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College
Jim Tranquada, Director of Communications
James Uhrich, Vice President for Information Technology Services & Chief Information Officer