A Brief and Almost Entirely True History of Oxy
A lot can happen when you've been around as long as we have...
Top 5 Things That Might Have But Thankfully Didn't Happen At Oxy
5. Oxy and Pomona didn't merge in 1910. Was it the football that came between us? The world may never know.
4. Oxy didn't become an all-men's college...twice. The matter was debated and rejected in 1912, then reconsidered and again turned down in 1932, just for good measure.
3. Oxy was quite peripatetic in its early years, having moved from Boyle Heights to Highland Park (1898) to Eagle Rock (1914), but it turned down opportunities to move to Inglewood (too remote) and Bel-Air (too many Bruins).
2. Oxy's 1965 master plan called for a carillon tower at the summit of Fiji Hill and three massive academic centers on the surrounding hillsides. Today, the hillsides remain undeveloped except for Oxy's new solar array.
1. Despite having two pieces published in Feast in 1981, a career in poetry never took shape for a young man known around the campus as Barry. He had to settle for becoming the 44th president of the United States.