Our mission to support Occidental students, faculty and staff in their pursuit of a vibrant and meaningful spiritual and religious life while engaging religious diversity with a commitment to acceptance, mutual respect, awareness and dialogue.
The Office for Religious and Spiritual Life serves students, staff and faculty at Occidental College by providing leadership and resources for programs that explore spirituality, religion, ethics, moral development, community engagement, social justice, religious diversity and the pursuit of meaningful work. We help students explore the question: How does my spiritual development intersect with my intellectual growth? Spiritual reflection is an integral aspect of the college experience, leading to the cultivation of the whole person. We encourage students to engage the big questions concerning truth, morality, religious beliefs and meaning. All members of the Occidental Community are welcome to participate in our programs and utilize our services.
In creating a rich context for spiritual growth and development and to advance the liberal arts mission of the College, we promote:
- Intellectual inquiry and debate
- Exploration of human values and ethics
- Freedom to choose one’s spiritual or religious path
- Critical engagement with religious texts and teachings
- Respect for others’ religions and beliefs
- Compassion and service
- Space for meditation, reflection and prayer
- Community building through meaningful practices and community action, and
- Independent, critical, and creative spiritual and religious exploration.
Student Spiritual and Religious Life on Campus
The Director of Religious and Spiritual Life works with the Occidental student Interfaith Council to promote interfaith community service and dialogue. We also oversee the following student spiritual and religious groups on campus:
- Ba hai - NOT ACTIVE
- Buddhist Meditation Group
- InterVarsity Christian Fellowship
- Latter Day Saints Student Association - NOT ACTIVE
- Life Christian Fellowship - NOT ACTIVE
- Muslim Student Association
- Newman Center (Roman Catholic)
- Progressive Christians Uniting
- Unitarian Universalist - NOT ACTIVE
- Yoga - NOT ACTIVE
Weddings in the Chapel
ORSL is not responsible for the booking or organizing of weddings in the Chapel. To inquire about booking the Chapel for a wedding please contact the wedding coordinator..
- Saraith Murillo, wedding coordinator