The Writing Center offers students from all disciplines two types of support to work on their writing: peer-to-peer, drop-in consultations with knowledgeable Writing Advisers and appointments with Faculty Writing Specialists from the Writing and Rhetoric department.
Who We Are
We collaborate with students in one-to-one writing sessions to help them learn strategies to improve their writing. We will offer suggestions and pose questions that aim to provoke analysis of a student's own ideas, help students respond effectively to course writing assignments, and assist a student's overall growth as a writer. We welcome students at any stage of the writing process, from generating ideas to final revision, and at any point in a student's academic career, from first semester through senior comprehensive projects or preparation for graduate school and fellowship applications.
What We Do
- Help unpack or figure out assignment prompts.
- Brainstorm ideas for writing assignments or tasks.
- Help organize or clarify ideas.
- Talk through and help strengthen a topic, a thesis, or an argument.
- Determine if claims or points need further development.
- Teach how to cite sources and correct documentation.
- Provide instruction in usage, grammar, and punctuation.
- Work with students on all types or genres of texts, including:
- Research papers
- Argumentative and expository essays
- Lab reports
- Materials for presentations
- Personal/Fellowship statements
- and more!
Photos by Marc Campos.