Helpful updates and reminders from Emmons Wellness Center and an overview of the COVID-19 testing protocol at Oxy.
Dear Oxy community,
Here is an overview on COVID-19 testing at Oxy, including some new updates and reminders. I am hopeful that this will clear up the who, what, where, when and how questions that often come up around testing.
- Routine testing occurs Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8am-3pm in the second floor of AGC.
- Wednesday make-up tests are offered at Emmons from 9am-11am.
- Saturday make-up tests are offered at Emmons from 11am-12pm.
- Everyone working, living, or visiting campus must complete two tests a week, 3 days apart. Individuals can sign up for testing on a Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday schedule.
- If you miss your test for any reason other than furlough, vacation or out sick, you must make up your test the following day during that day's testing hours.
- Repeatedly missing testing or failing to get your make-up test may result in a loss of access to campus.
- Do not eat, drink or smoke at least one hour before the test.
- For many people, one hour is not enough. We recommend brushing your teeth and gargling and then waiting one to one and a half hours for testing.
- Samples must be clear and have no discoloration, mucus or particulates. Even a little gets rejected by the lab, so bear with us when we ask you to do it again!
- Beginning Thursday, February 4, You will receive a text message when your test result comes in. The text will not tell you the result. Rather, it will give you a link to the patient portal where you can log in to view your result.
- Sign-in using your Oxy username and password.
- If you are POSITIVE, we will call you.
- If your results are rejected, invalid or inconclusive, we will email you with next steps.
- Rapid testing is offered at Emmons when ordered by an Emmons provider. Students must set up a telemedical sick visit to discuss symptoms, care and treatment.
- Rapid testing is provided to employees coming back from furlough or vacation, or have been instructed to get a rapid test by an Emmons provider.
- Staff who are experiencing symptoms should connect with their primary care provider for a telemedical visit and access to a COVID-19 test. If a staff member has difficulty connecting with their primary care provider or getting a COVID testing appointment, they may call Emmons for a telemedical visit.
- NEW - Rapid tests are offered from 9am-11am, Monday-Friday and Saturday from 11-12 only.