We have confirmed a date and time for the Class of 2020 Commencement ceremony: Saturday, June 12 at 10 a.m. Students will be permitted to invite two guests to share in the celebration.
Dear Class of 2020:
I am happy to be able to provide important updates regarding the details for your upcoming in-person Commencement ceremony in June. We have confirmed the date and time -- Saturday, June 12 at 10 a.m. And we are pleased to inform you that the latest guidance from state and county public health officials means you can invite two guests to share in this special celebration.
In order to accommodate all members of the Class of 2020 and their guests in a manner consistent with applicable health and safety guidelines, we will hold the outdoor celebration in Kemp Stadium—just like the May 16 Commencement ceremony we are planning for the Class of 2021. Every member of the class in attendance will hear their name called and walk across the stage. All attendees will be required to wear masks and all seating will be socially distanced.
As we continue to work out all the logistics involved, students and families should keep an eye out for updates on the Commencement website. You can also expect to receive direct communications from Commencement Coordinator Laura Crescenzo. Here are some important points to note now:
- We have updated the website with information about financial support for students travelling from out of town.
- Expect to see a separate RSVP message from the Registrar's Office soon so we can determine how many participants we will have in the ceremony.
- The celebration will be livestreamed for families and students who are unable to attend.
- For students and guests seeking local accommodations, the College has secured Oxy-specific discounts at local hotels. Campus housing is not available to students for this event. Should any campus housing become available, we will provide an update.
- Caps and gowns will be provided at no cost and can be ordered using this form. Guest bracelets—our equivalent of tickets—are non-transferable and can be picked up with your cap and gown at the Oxy Bookstore on Friday, June 11 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. or on Saturday morning from 8 to 9 a.m.
For anyone who is unable to join us in June, the College plans to offer you future in-person opportunities. We are still working out the details, but our plan is that any student from the Class of 2020 who would like to walk on stage and hear their name read aloud with family in attendance will be able to do so. This would conceivably take place during a future Commencement weekend, beginning in 2022.
It is essential for everyone to keep in mind that the pandemic is not over, and conditions can change. We will continue to monitor public health guidelines and adjust our plans accordingly. We look forward to celebrating you in June!