While a vast majority of bomb threats are false, all bomb threats must be treated as a serious matter until proven otherwise. Act quickly, but remain calm and obtain as much information as possible.
EMERGENCY: Campus Safety at (323) 259-2599 (or 5 on a campus phone)
If a suspicious object is observed:
1. Do not touch it! Call Campus Safety at (323) 259-2599 to report it.
2. Evacuate the area.
If you receive a bomb threat call:
1. Be calm, keep the caller on the line for as long as possible. If your phone has caller ID, write down the number.
2. Listen carefully, Be polite and show interest.
3. Try and keep the caller talking to learn more information.
4. If possible, write a note to a colleague to call Campus Safety at (323) 259-2599.
5. Write as many details as you can. Try to record exact words.
6. Immediately upon termination of the call, do not hang up, but from a different phone, contact Campus Safety with information and await instructions.
If a bomb threat is received by mail:
1. Call Campus Safety at 323-259-2599.
2. Immediately stop handling the package or letter.
- Do not use two-way radios or cellular phone; radio signals have the potential to detonate a bomb.
- Do not evacuate the building until police arrive and evaluate the threat.
- Do not activate the fire alarm.
- Do not touch or move a suspicious package.
Signs of a suspicious package
- No return address
- Incorrect titles
- Foriegn postage
- Excessive postage
- Poor handwriting
- Misspelled words
- Strange odor/sounds
- Restrictive notes
- Unexpected delivery
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- Where is it right now?
- What does it look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will cause it to explode?
- Did you place the bomb?
- What is your name?
Other details to note
- Sex of caller
- Approximate age
- Length of call