“One of the greatest values of mentors is the ability to see ahead what others cannot see and to help them navigate a course to their destination.” — John C. Maxwell
Are you passionate about college access, education, and youth?
Want to share your college experience with others while gaining valuable professional development that will help you in your career path?
If so, we have the PERFECT volunteer opportunity for you!
Become a UB Pre-College Mentor (UBM) with the Upward Bound program at Occidental College and provide support to High School Juniors and Seniors in Northeast Los Angeles! UB Pre-College Mentors serve as motivators, coaches, counselors, and a host of other roles!
UBMs will work with their mentee(s) once a month during one of our assigned Saturday sessions. Additionally, UBMs have the option of working with students during their scheduled after school sessions to provide mentoring and additional support.
Please note that UBM’s will be provided transportation for after school sessions at Franklin, Lincoln, and Wilson High School.
To become a Pre-College Mentor, applicants must
- Must be enrolled in college or have a degree.
- College student applicants must maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- College student applicants must be in good standing with their respective institution (in regard to academic and conduct)
- Be available during Saturday sessions, as needed
- Be available to meet with your mentee, once a month outside of Saturday sessions
This is a volunteer opportunity that provides the participating college student with professional development and networking opportunities. If selected, participants should be able to attend at least four Saturdays in the Fall and four Saturdays in the Spring . UBM’s are able to attend as frequently as desired with prior communication with Upward Bound staff. UB Pre-College mentors are expected to meet the following minimum requirements.
- Attend required Orientation sessions prior to serving as a mentor
- Attend monthly Training
- Complete and submit documentation by assigned deadlines
- Present themselves as positive, motivational role models to Scholars at all times
- Demonstrate integrity, dependability, and passion for promoting Student Access & Success
- Uphold all Upward Bound and College policies and procedures