Occidental College is a member of a coalition of colleges and universities across the country formed to examine race and equity on college campuses. The Liberal Arts College Racial Equity Leadership Alliance (LACRELA) fosters greater understanding in combating these issues.
Developed by Shaun Harper, Race and Equity Center executive director at the University of Southern California (USC), LACRELA seeks to help professionals at colleges develop and achieve equity goals, better understand and correct problems, avoid and recover from racial incidents, and foster sustainable cultures of inclusion.
This program addresses different topics and strategies designed to increase knowledge on issues around diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education. It seeks to provide an opportunity for institutional leaders to convene and share ideas, knowledge, and resources that will bring positive and lasting change to the students, faculty, staff, and the greater communities they serve.
Monthly eConvening Series
The LACRELA Monthly eConvening Series is brought to you by the USC Race and Equity Center. Colleges in the alliance will be able to send any eight employees - from the presidents themselves to campus facility staff members - to monthly virtual seminars featuring experts on racial equity and higher education. All eConvening webinars are recorded, and links to these recordings are available to any Oxy community member.
If you are interested in attending one of the upcoming live sessions, please send an email to our JEID Education Specialist, José Cisneros, at email@example.com. Please note that attendance is limited and if spots are full, you will be added to a waitlist.
Managing and Resolving Racial Tensions in the Workplace
Tuesday, January 24, 2023 | 9am-12pm PST
Previous Webinar Topics
- Accountability and Incentives for Advancing Racial Equity
- Board Strategies to Achieve Racial Equity
- Centering Racial Equity in Your Student Success Agenda
- Chief Diversity Officer’s Role in Advancing Racial Equity
- Classroom Incivility and Productive Conversations About Race
- Communicating Institutional Progress on Racial Equity Goals
- Confronting Explicit Acts of Racism and Racial Violence on Campus
- Creating Equitable Pathways to Leadership Roles for Employees of Color
- Disaggregating Data to Identify Racial Inequities
- Dismantling Persistent Racial Equity Problems in Stem
- Fostering and Sustaining Inclusive Classrooms for Students of Color
- Leading Productive Conversations About Racism
- Making Racial Equity Data Transparent
- Meaningfully Integrating Racial Topics Across the Curriculum
- Race Conscious Enrollment Management
- Recovering from COVID-19 Racial Inequities
- Recruiting and Strategically Diversifying Staff at All Levels
- Reducing Implicit Bias in The Search and Hiring Process
- Strategically Hiring Faculty of Color
- Supporting and Retaining Faculty of Color
- Teaching the Truth About Slavery and America’s Racial History
- Understanding Campus Unrest and Responding to Student Protest
- Using Assessment and Evaluation to Improve Campus Racial Climates