The Fulbright award funds research, study, and English teaching opportunities abroad in over 100 countries.
Preliminary application deadline: June 5, 2023
Internal application deadline: September 11, 2023
National deadline: October 10, 2023
The Fulbright Program seeks to promote cultural engagement and international understanding by funding grants for U.S. citizens to research, study, and teach English abroad.
Oxy Info Sessions and Resources:
The Oxy Fulbright Handbook has a detailed application timeline and tips for applying (to be updated soon for 2023-2024)
Spring 2023 info session co-hosted by IIE and Oxy
Oxy's spring 2023 Choosing Fulbright Countries and Programs info session
June 2021 panel of Oxy Fulbright alumni discussing their experiences as applicants and grantees
In order to apply, a candidate must:
- be a U.S. citizen at time of application
- be a senior or recent graduate at time of application
Preference will be given to candidates who:
- have not previously had a Fulbright
- have not resided in the country for more than six months (undergraduate study abroad does not count toward this)
- have not had extensive, recent experience in the home country (undergraduate study abroad does not count toward this)
Oxy application process:
1. Complete the Preliminary Application Google Form and upload a resume by June 5, 2023.
2. Participate in online summer workshops to draft and revise your essays (dates TBA).
3. After your spring semester grades are available, request an official transcript through our office. You will receive a link to request the transcript after you submit your preliminary application form, or you can request the link by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Complete your application on Fulbright's online application site by September 11, 2023 at 11:59pm and hit "submit." Complete the Oxy Fellowships Waiver in order to be considered for Oxy evaluation. Ask your three recommenders to submit their recommendations by September 11 as well. After we collect a PDF of your application to use in our internal review, we will unsubmit your application so you can continue revising it.
5. Interview with the campus committee.
6. Revise your application and resubmit it by a day before the national deadline in order to avoid any last-minute problems with the site.