Dear Oxy Community,
I am pleased to announce the members of the 2020-21 College Committee on Sexual Responsibility and Misconduct (CCSRM) appointed by President Elam. Now in its seventh year, the CCSRM is a diverse, multi-constituency College committee whose members have the relevant background and experience to contribute in a substantive way. The CCSRM was created to:
- review practices, procedures, and programming relevant to sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, and Title IX issues;
- provide feedback to the Title IX Coordinator on educational programs/initiatives and other sex discrimination policy initiatives;
- and engage in outreach in order to involve the community in discussion of proposed changes to the policy and procedures.
The 2020-21 members are:
- Project SAFE - Marianne Frapwell, Senior Manager and Survivor Advocate
- Project SAFE - Tirzah Blanche, Program Coordinator & Prevention Education Specialist
- Student Appointment 1 - Junko Anderson, Project SAFE Programming Assistant
- Student Appointment 2 - Avanti Puri, Restorative Justice Committee Member
- Faculty Council Appointment 1 - Beth Braker, Professor of Biology
- Faculty Council Appointment 2 - Lisa Sousa, Professor of History
- Intercultural Community Center - Chris Arguedas, Director
- Human Resources - Jacie Feigelman, Associate Director of Employee Relations and Training
- Emmons Wellness Center - Sarah Semal, Senior Director of Student Wellness
- Dean of Students Office - Vivian Santiago, Associate Dean of Students and Director of Student Success
- Residential Education and Housing Services - Isaiah Thomas, Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residential Education, Housing Services and Student Conduct
- Office of Student Conduct - Ashley Claiborne, Assistant Director
- International Programs Office - Julie Santos, Associate Director
- Athletics - Rob Bartlett, Cross Country and Track Head Coach
- Campus Safety - Rick Tanksley, Director of Campus Safety
- Financial Aid - Tiffany Mendez, Director of Financial Aid
- Office of Marketing & Communication – Jim Tranquada, Director of Communications and Community Relations
- Title IX Office - Andrea Boyle, Title IX Administrative Coordinator
- Title IX Office - Alexandra Fulcher, Title IX Coordinator
This summer, Occidental revised its Interim Sexual Misconduct Policy in response to the U.S. Department of Education regulations issued in May that mandate how colleges and universities must investigate and adjudicate sexual misconduct cases under Title IX. As part of its standing charge to review practices and procedures relevant to Title IX issues, one of the chief tasks of the CCSRM this year will be a thoughtful review of the interim policy and recommendation of a permanent policy that meets both federal regulations and the needs and values of our community.
The CCSRM will present an annual report to President Elam and the campus community by May 1, 2021. The report will include a summary of the year's work, as well as any recommendations made by the committee with respect to existing policies, procedures and practices. I invite you to review the Interim Sexual Misconduct Policy and to provide comments and suggestions to email@example.com. Our goal is to have a permanent policy in place sometime in the spring semester.
As a reminder, the Title IX Office is available remotely to anyone wishing to report an incident of sexual misconduct or seeking information about options and resources. Any person with questions or concerns can contact me directly by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or telephone (323-259-1338), or file a report online. The College also continues to offer confidential resources to serve and support our community. Survivor Advocate Marianne Frapwell (email@example.com) provides free confidential counseling and advocacy to survivors of sexual and intimate partner violence; the Oxy 24/7 Helpline (323-341-4141) provides 24/7 confidential phone counseling and referral services to all members of the community; and Emmons Wellness Center currently provides confidential telecounseling to all students in California and can assist out-of-state students in finding a local provider. The Sexual Respect and Title IX website features a complete list of available resources and additional information.
As always, Occidental College remains committed to our fundamental goal of eliminating sexual misconduct in the Oxy community, providing support to survivors, and ensuring a fair process for all parties.
Alexandra Fulcher | Title IX Coordinator