Researchers External to Occidental College Wishing to Conduct Research on Occidental College Faculty, Staff, or Students
Rationale - Researchers external to Occidental College wishing to conduct research on Occidental faculty, staff, and/or students must secure permission prior to initiating any research with the Occidental community.
External Researchers with Approval from their Institution:
External researchers who have secured approval from their institution’s own Institutional Review Board (IRB), who propose to use members of the Occidental community as research participants must request permission from the Chair of the Occidental Human Subjects Research Review Institutional Review Board. Permission requests can be made by attaching the following documentation in an email to the Occidental College IRB at firstname.lastname@example.org. Such requests must include:
- The researcher’s contact information, including email and mailing address.
- The anticipated start/ end dates the Occidental community will be engaged,
- All materials approved by the researcher’s institution (e.g., application, consent documents, recruitment materials),
- A copy of the Principal Investigator’s experience/ expertise related to the research (e.g., resume, CV),
- A copy of research training for the Principal Investigator (e.g., through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative [CITI] program), and
- A copy of the IRB approval letter.
During the review of such a request, the Occidental IRB Chair will consult with other relevant departments to ensure that such research may proceed. After consideration, Occidental’s IRB Chair will respond to the request in a timely fashion.