Students are responsible for knowing the following:
It is highly recommended that all students register their bicycles by obtaining a Los Angeles city permit, which can be purchased at any bicycle shop in Los Angeles or at the Los Angeles Police Department, Northeast Station, located at 3353 San Fernando Road, Los Angeles.
Additionally, Campus Safety asks students to observe the rules listed below:
- The student should keep the serial number of the bicycle in a separate location.
- Bicycles must be parked only in a bike rack and must be locked with a U-lock or similar style lock to deter theft. Cable locks may be used in addition to a U-lock, but are not sufficient to secure a bicycle alone.
- Bicycles must not be secured to, or rested against objects such as benches, poles, signs, trees, fences or railings.
- If ridden at night, bicycles must have a white reflector on the front and a red reflector on the rear of the bicycle and must also be equipped with a forward-facing bike headlight mounted on the bicycle or worn by the cyclist.
- Pedestrians must be given the right of way at all times
- Bicycles that appear to be abandoned will be tagged with an impoundment notice and will be impounded if not moved within 48 hours.
- Locking devices that are cut in the process of impounding bicycles will not be reimbursed.
- Students should check to see if their insurance coverage includes bicycle theft. State driving laws apply to the operation of bicycles. Citations are handled as regular driver violations.
Bike racks are in the following locations: the east side of Swan Hall, the south side of the Alumni Gymnasium, the Berkus House, the east and west side of Johnson Student Center, the north side of the Library, the east side of the Emmons StudentWellness Center, the west side of Norris Hall, the north side of Chilcott Hall, the west side of Pauley Hall, the east side of Stewart-Cleland Hall, the south east side of Braun Hall, the north side of Norris Hall, the west side of Wylie Hall, the east side of Bell-Young Hall, the south side of Haines Hall, and Newcomb Hall.
Last updated July, 2021