Students are responsible for knowing the following:
This policy governs the operation of skateboards, roller skates, rollerblades, scooters, and other coasting devices on the Occidental College campus.
Responsible use of alternative transportation methods, including skateboards, roller skates, rollerblades, foot scooters, and other coasting devices (collectively “Coasting Devices”), is allowed on campus as a way of reducing reliance on motorized transportation and promoting healthy exercise. Persons may coast or ride upon any sidewalk or improved surface used for pedestrian purposes, subject to the following restrictions:
- Users must exercise extreme caution at all times when traveling on campus and remain diligent and mindful of the rights and safety of others to maintain a safe campus environment.
- The wearing of headphones, earbuds, etc. while using a Coasting Device is prohibited.
- Users must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians at all times.
- Coasting Devices may not be used in any manner that places pedestrians at risk and the user must remain in control of their device at all times.
- Coasting Devices are not vehicles and their use is prohibited in parking structures.
- Use of Coasting Devices for acrobatics, racing, or other stunts is strictly prohibited. Riding on steps, walls, benches, handrails, accessibility ramps, and any other architectural or landscape features is prohibited. All wheels of the device must be in contact with the ground while in use.
- The use of Coasting Devices is prohibited within any building. Persons using roller skates or rollerblades must remove them before entering any campus building.
- Coasting Devices may not be towed by bicycles or other vehicles.
- The use of personal golf carts on Occidental College property is strictly prohibited.
- None of the devices mentioned in this policy may be operated on the Academic Quad or the Olive Grove pathway (Bird Road to the Student Quad) between the hours of 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Bicycle Use: Bicycle riders on public roads have the same rights and responsibilities as motorists, and are subject to the same rules and regulations. On the Occidental College campus, both human-propelled and electric bicycle use is allowed. Bicycles, including e-bikes, must always yield to pedestrians and must be walked on the Academic Quad or Olive Grove pathway (Bird Road to the Student Quad) between 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Cautionary Note: The use of bicycles and coasting devices on campus carries with it responsibility and liability. Please ride carefully and with all due consideration for the safety and rights of others. Accidental collisions may seriously injure pedestrians, bicyclists, other skaters, and/or cause damage to campus property. A person riding a bicycle, skateboard, or any other coasting device who strikes any person or property may be held liable for all medical expenses of that victim and any property damage.
Hoverboards and Motorized Scooters: The operation of hoverboards (self-balancing, battery-powered boards), electric or gas-powered scooters, or any similar motorized, wheeled devices on campus is prohibited at all times. Students are prohibited from charging such devices in their rooms or anywhere else on campus.
Enforcement: These guidelines will be enforced by the Campus Safety department. Any student or employee who violates this policy will be documented by Campus Safety and may be referred to Student Conduct or Human Resources for further action. Visitors who violate this policy will be documented by Campus Safety, and may be excluded from campus. Persons who violate this policy may also be subject to penalties under applicable state statutes and/or city ordinances.
Last reviewed: July, 2022