Students are responsible for knowing the following: 

Occidental College has an obligation to maintain all educational records in accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  In consideration of this, students, staff, faculty, parents, and potential employers (both on campus and off campus) should know the following information.

For Current Students:

Current students may have their conduct record disclosed to an Occidental College employee or department if that employee or department has a legitimate educational interest.   Any external party, such as a third party study abroad program, will need to furnish an appropriate signed waiver authorizing release of any protected information.

Students who receive disciplinary probation status as a result of a violation of the Code of Student Conduct face potential loss of privileges, including, but not limited to, the ability to study abroad, be hired by an on-campus employer, move off-campus during junior year, and participate in College athletic programs.  Organizations may also lose similar appropriate privileges.

For Former Students:

After your Oxy experience, many employers and graduate schools request disciplinary clearances from the College. Except for where required by law, former students from the College who depart in “good standing" will only have their misconduct disclosed to a potential employer or post-Occidental educational institution when an appropriate release is provided and the misconduct rises to a level of Suspension or Expulsion.  Students are expected to learn from their violations of Occidental’s Code of Student Conduct, whether or not those violations will be released.

Requests for student conduct clearances can be made by filling out the appropriate form.  Requests are typically fulfilled in 5-7 business days.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q)  I’m applying to be admitted in a state Bar association.  What kind of response will the College make on behalf of my character?

A) The College will not comment on behalf of your character.  Bar background checks and verification forms with a question regarding your character will be returned to the sender with that question unanswered.

Q) Can I submit my Transfer Common Application through this form?

A) Yes, but it is faster to submit the Common Application to the Registrar’s Office.

Q) I had a minor incident that did not result in Suspension or Expulsion.  If the College does not disclose these incidents, should I?

A) You should fill out your application truthfully.  Many applications explicitly ask if any Conduct Action or other institutional action exists, despite the action being undisclosed.  In the Student Conduct Clearance form, you may provide instructions for your entire conduct history to be disclosed.

Q) Is there a fee for Student Conduct Clearances?

A) No.

Q) What does a clearance letter entail?

A) Please see this PDF.

Q) Does the College notate my transcript with conduct sanctions?

A)Yes. The College will notate the student's transcript with "Administrative Matter Pending," once a formal investigation of alleged misconduct has begun for all Title IX cases and any Student Conduct case that may result in suspension or expulsion. That notation will be removed after the Student Conduct and/or Title IX process has been completed. In instances where both processes are undertaken, the notation will be removed after the last process is completed.

In any case in which the final outcome is either "Suspension" or "Expulsion," the sanction will be permanently noted on the transcript.  In addition, the dates of the suspension or expulsion will be noted on the transcript.

Contact Student Affairs about the Handbook