September is National Campus Safety Fire Safety Month. Here are a few essential fire safety tips for students:

  • Make yourself aware of all emergency exits and have two ways to get out in mind, whether you are in a residence hall, off-campus residence, classroom, movie theater or club.
  • Use stairs to get out, not elevators.
  • Smoking and open flames are not allowed in residence halls. When off campus, make sure any cigarettes and ashes are out. After a party, check for smoldering cigarette butts, especially under cushions. Chairs and sofas catch on fire fast, and burn fast. Nationwide, smoking is the leading cause of fatal fires in campus housing.
  • Never leave a lit candle unattended. Keep candles away from curtains, furniture, bedding and papers. Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher close by and know how to use it.
  • Alcohol is a factor in 76 percent of all fatal campus fires.
  • Don’t overload electrical outlets, power strips and extension cords. Use a surge protector for a computer and plug the protector directly into an outlet. Electrical problems cause 11 percent of fatal campus fires.
  • Be extra cautious during the weekend. Some 70 percent of fatal campus fires occur on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
  • If you ever get caught in any flames, remember to stop, drop and roll – it’s the most famous fire tip for a reason.
Contact Campus Safety 24/7
Facilities Management Building

Fire, Paramedics, & Police: 911
(or 9-911 from a campus phone)
Northeast Community Police Station

Contact us through the LiveSafe app