A blog is a page that aggregates blog posts written in an informal or conversational style.
Anatomy of a Blog
Blogs are comprised of two different page types:
- Blog Front Page (blog) - This is the landing page for your blog. It can include optional intro copy and body copy to summarize the blog's purpose or content. The primary feature is a feed of all blog posts, listed in reverse chronological order (most recent posts first), with a summary of each post that includes title, intro copy, main image (if uploaded), and a link to read the full post.
- Blog Post - A blog post is an individual article, story, or news piece on a blog. It can include intro copy, body copy, author information, and an optional main image.
Optional features available on blog front pages and blog posts:
Blog Front Page
Adding a blog to your website
A blog that has only a few posts or hasn't been updated in a long time is often less preferable than having no content at all. Before deciding to add a new blog to your website it is important to consider the following questions:
- How often do you plan to update your department's blog?
- Will you be able to maintain your department's blog over time?
- Is your content best suited for the blog format, i.e. regular, informal updates that are available as a running archive over time? Or is it the kind of information that is better suited to a page?
If you believe you have the content and resources to maintain your blog you can request one for your department website by emailing email@example.com. Include the following information in your request: page name, page type, menu placement. We recommend that you have at least one or two blog posts ready to add before your blog is published.
- Navigate to the blog you want to edit, e.g. oxy.edu/my-department/blog.
- Click the edit button.
- Edit the text in the intro copy and body copy field as desired.
- If you would like to add a main image to your blog, please email the web team.
- When you are done making your changes click save at the bottom of the page.
Example of a blog post:
- Navigate to the blog where you want to add a post, e.g. oxy.edu/my-department/blog-name.
- Click the "create new blog post link" just below the edit button or in the righthand sidebar.
- The "linked to blog page" field will be pre-populated with the name of the parent blog for your post.
- Title - enter your blog post title in the title field.
- Publishing date - today's date is the default publish date. To backdate a post, select a date in the past.
- Main image - See our tutorial on uploading images for more information. Blog posts have three image size/display options:
- Banner Image - displays at full-width at the top of the page. This should only be used for very large, high quality images.
- Full Body Width Image - displays at the same width as the text content on the page. This is the best option for most landscape-style images.
- In-Body Image - displays within the text of your blog post. This is the best option for portrait-style images.
- Optional Image Credit - if you want to include the photo source you can add it to the image credit field
- Intro - Enter a one sentence headline for your post. In the above example, the intro copy field displays the post author's name.
- Body - Type or paste your story, article or news piece in the body field. This field can contain text, tables, links, images and video.
- Groups Audience - Before saving, select the parent DEPARTMENT for your blog (in this example, Admission & Aid) from the field titled "Groups Audience". You will only see a list of departments you have access to edit here. If you do not see the department that your blog belongs to in this list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an update to your permissions.
- Click "Save" to publish your blog post.