Housing and Move-In information for new students
Welcome to Occidental College! The Office of Residential Education and Housing Services (REHS) here at Oxy is excited about the 2022-2023 year and greatly looks forward to welcoming you to campus! This message is intended to provide new first-year and transfer students approved for housing with information about on-campus housing for the upcoming year, including the application process, roommate selection, move-in and more.
College Vaccination Requirement
Vaccinations will be required for all students living on campus. The deadline for submitting proof of COVID-19 vaccination, as well as other required vaccinations, is August 1. Further instructions will be sent by email shortly from Emmons Wellness Center. The vaccination requirement will allow for medical and religious exemptions. Please note, however, that a student’s inability or failure to be vaccinated may impact their ability to receive on-campus housing.
How to Complete Your Housing Application
The Fall 2022 Housing Application opens on Wednesday, June 1. REHS utilizes an electronic software program called eRezlife to manage housing. eRezlife allows you to complete your housing application, indicate roommate preferences and review additional resources and bulletins pertaining to housing at Oxy. Please review the step-by-step eRezlife instructions and be sure to complete your housing application by July 1. We recommend that you sign up as soon as you are able.
- Step 1: Log in to oxy.erezlife.com using your Oxy credentials (the same login used for your myOxy account). When logging in, you will use the tool bar on the left side of the screen under the header "Housing" to complete all of the steps. Note: You will need to have your Oxy login credentials in order to log into the website. If you do not have your credentials OR if you are having trouble logging in, you will need to contact Oxy’s Information Technology Services (ITS) department, who can further assist you. ITS can be contacted at: email@example.com or by calling (323) 259-2880 during College business hours.
- Step 2: Select "My Housing Profile" and confirm that all of your information is correct and press SAVE. Go back to the toolbar and select "Housing Overview” and click “Apply Now” to access the Fall 2022 Housing Application.
- Step 3: Complete the Fall 2022 Housing Application. You must submit the application by July 1. The housing application will close after July 1, and we are unable to re-open it. Should a student not complete the application by this deadline, they will be automatically assigned a roommate(s) and room assignment.
- Step 4: Please read the Terms & Conditions file on the confirmation page of the housing application. This is where you will review your Housing License Agreement. Don't forget to click “Submit."
- Step 5: If you have a preferred roommate, go back to the toolbar and select "Roommate Groups." Next, create a group name, making sure to put in your desired roommate(s') Oxy email address(es). Members of the roommate group will receive an email asking for their acceptance; members must confirm their placement in the group. Note: Roommates and room type (e.g. doubles and/or triples) are not guaranteed based on your roommate groups. Though we try to honor all requests, students will be placed in what is available at the time of housing assignments. For example, a roommate group of two people does not guarantee a double room; you may have a third person added to form a triple.
Housing License Agreement
After a student completes their housing application, they will be sent a copy of the 2022-2023 Housing License Agreement to their Oxy email. We ask that all students and families read this agreement to understand the various terms and conditions of living in college-provided housing.
Roommate and Room Assignment Information
REHS will spend the months of June and July reviewing all incoming student housing applications, making room assignments and matching roommates. As this is a significant task, this will take several weeks to complete. Students can expect to receive their room assignment and roommate(s) information in the first week of August.
Themed Living Communities
Themed Living Communities (TLCs): TLCs, a signature program offered by REHS, create affinity spaces for students with shared identities and provide opportunities to learn and build community through intentional programming that centers the TLC theme. The TLC Website shares information on all of our TLCs offered to first-year and transfer students approved for on-campus housing. Students will be able to indicate their interest in a TLC on the general housing application; there is no separate application process.
Space is limited in each of the communities and all applicants will be notified in late July if they have been assigned to a TLC. Students who are unable to be assigned to a TLC will receive roommate and room assignment information in early August.
Disability Housing Accommodations
If you are in need of housing accommodation due to a documented medical or psychiatric disability, or have questions about housing accommodations, please review the Housing Accommodation Policy on the Disability Services website and submit your accommodation request online. The deadline for incoming students to apply for Disability Housing Accommodations for Fall 2022 housing is July 1.
All first year and transfer students are permitted to arrive on campus as early as Monday, August 22, at 8:00 a.m. PDT. REHS is unable to honor any early housing requests, so you will need to seek alternative housing accommodations should you have a need to arrive in the area earlier than August 22. If you are involved in a College program or fall sport that requires an early arrival, or are an international student, please contact that department or office directly for information about your arrival.
Housing is very limited for transfer students, and if available, will be offered on a first-come, first served basis determined by when a transfer student commits to Oxy. REHS will notify eligible transfer students of available housing in late May, but feel free to contact our office with any questions about the availability of housing.
What to Bring, Residence Hall Furnishings, Shipping, and Storage:
Please review our Amenities Chart & What To Bring Webpage to review the list of items students should bring with them to campus, as well as to learn more about what is provided in each residence hall room, and information about shipping items to the college.
If you have any questions about logging on to eRezlife, or you are having difficulty with your Oxy login credentials, please contact ITS at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (323) 259-2880 during College business hours.
If you have any additional questions, please contact the Office of Residential Education and Housing Services at email@example.com or (323) 259-2531. Please note that REHS is working with many students and families during the months of June and July, and we will provide a response back to your questions as soon as we are able.
Again, welcome to Oxy! We are looking forward to welcoming you into our residence halls and onto campus this August!
Associate Director of Housing Services
Dr. Isaiah Thomas
Assistant Dean of Students and Director of REHS