All students are required to live in college-owned residence halls/housing for their first three years at Occidental. Seniors are not guaranteed on-campus housing, and will need to apply if they are interested in living on campus. This page provides an overview of all housing selection processes for Oxy students.
Information about Room Draw for the 2024-2025 Academic Year
All rising sophomore, junior, and approved senior students planning to be at Oxy for Fall 2024 must participate in Room Draw in order to select their new room assignment. Detailed information about Room Draw will be emailed directly to all students, which will explain all the steps in the process, as Room Draw is done online via our eRezlife housing management system. Part of the process will be for students to complete their Room Draw Application in eRezlife, which is required for students to gain access to select their preferred room on their designated room draw day and time.
All rising seniors must complete the Rising Senior Room Draw Request Form by Tuesday, February 27, 4pm PT if they are interested in living ON-CAMPUS for the 2024-2025 academic year. Any rising seniors who do not complete the Rising Senior Room Draw Request Form will not participate in room draw, and we will assume that they will live off-campus for the 2024-2025 academic year. Completion of this form does not guarantee housing, and REHS will try to best honor as many requests as possible. If there are more requests than bed spaces for rising seniors, decisions will be determined by the date and time we receive a student's form submission. This means the sooner a student completes this form, the better their chance of living on-campus for next year. Information about this process was emailed to all rising seniors on February 7.
Each year, REHS allows a small number of rising juniors to live off-campus and be exempt from their required third year of living on-campus. Rising juniors interested in living off-campus for 2024-2025 must complete the Third Year Live Off Form by Tuesday, February 27, 4pm PT. Please note that the completion of the Third Year Live Off Form does NOT guarantee your approval, and you must NOT sign a lease or enter any off-campus housing agreement until you receive written permission from Residential Education and Housing Services. Students who do not have written permission to reside off-campus are obligated to reside in, and pay for, room and board on campus in accordance with the College’s housing policies.
- March 4: Room Draw Housing Application Opens
- March 25: Room Draw Application Closes. Any students required to be in campus housing who do not complete the application by the deadline, or students who missed the deadline, will receive an automatic room assignment for the Fall 2024 semester at the conclusion of room draw. We are unable to add students who miss the deadline to the formal room draw processes. We anticipate housing students who miss room draw in May or June.
- March 28, April 3, and April 9: Room Draw Information Sessions
- April 11: Triple Room Draw (reserved for students who are interested in living in a triple-occupancy room)
- April 12: Rising Senior Room Draw
- April 16: Rising Junior Room Draw
- April 18: Rising Sophomore Room Draw
Please join us to answer any questions you may have regarding your Room Draw experience. All meetings will be virtual, and signup information will be emailed to all students.
- Tuesday, March 28
- Wednesday, April 3
- Tuesday, April 9
Themed Living Communities (TLC) TLCs are intended to create strong links between students by providing educational programming around a shared interest or identity. While students interested in our TLCs do not have to specifically identify with the particular theme of the community, it is expected that students will support and uplift the spirit and values of each community.
Application Period: Monday, January 29, 2024, to Friday, February 23, 2024.
How to Apply: Log in to your eRezLife account and complete the Themed Living Community application.
1. Check-In Session - February 6th:
- Time: 5 - 6 p.m.
- Location: Stewie Lounge
- If you have questions or need clarification before submitting your application, this session is the perfect opportunity. Our team will be there to guide you through the process and provide valuable insights
2. Virtual Session - February 8th:
- Time: 1 - 2 p.m.
- Platform: Google Meet
- Unable to attend in person? Join our virtual session to have your questions answered from the comfort of your own space. We'll cover everything you need to know about the Themed Living Community and the application process. (Meeting details will be sent out in a later email)
- REHS will host virtual opportunities for students to connect and identify a roommate for the next academic year. The Oxy Roommate Finder is a process where students will be able to search for other students seeking a roommate, and learn more about their living habits to determine a best fit. Students will receive more information about this process via email during March in advance of Room Draw.
Students interested in seeking a housing accommodation for the 2024-2025 year must visit the Disability Services Housing Accommodations Website. This website contains all information about the application process. Please note that Residential Education and Housing Services does not approve housing accommodations; only the Office of Disability Services makes such approvals. Any questions about housing accommodations should be directed to their team. If approved, Disability Services informs Residential Education and Housing Services, and a team member from REHS will contact you regarding what options may be available. If approved by the Office of Disability Services, a representative from REHS will be in touch with the student from March 23 - April 7 to select their room.
If you are planning to study abroad or take a leave of absence for Fall 2024, you do not need to complete any housing processes. Once you have completed the process to return to campus for Spring 2024, you should be in contact with Residential Education and Housing Services in Fall regarding Spring semester housing. Should you change your plans to study abroad or a leave for Fall, you should notify REHS, and we will add you to a housing waitlist. We review our housing waitlist in June of each year and provide housing as space becomes available.
Housing selection for first-year and transfer students is completed over the Summer, and information about that process will be shared with students and families in June.This information will be emailed directly to students.