Eugenio Grippo research interest is in the area of modeling and control of the electric power grid using mathematical curvature theory. He also expanded his research area interest to ML (Machine Learning), DeFi (Decentralized Finance) and IoT (Internet of Things) while pursuing his postdoc at USC.
Eugenio Grippo received his MS and PhD in EE (Electrical Engineering) from University
of Southern California (USC), where he also conducted Postdoctoral studies in Electrical
and Computer Engineering (ECE); he received his “Automation and Industrial Control
Engineer” degree from Universidad Nacional de Quilmes (UNQUI, Buenos Aires,
He worked in the ANRG (Autonomous Network Research Group) center at USC where
he conducted research in machine learning, distributed computing, IoT and cybersecurity.
After that, he worked in the ICAROS LAB (Interactive and Collaborative Autonomous
Robotics Lab) at USC where he conducted research in robotics.
He is currently an Adjunct Professor in Data Science at Pacific States University, Los
Angeles, USA; and a Visiting Assistant Professor at Occidental College, Los Angeles,
- Hekmati Arvin, Eugenio Grippo, Bhaskar Krishnamachari and Nishant Jethwa.
"Correlation-Aware Neural Networks for DDoS Attack Detection in IoT Systems".
Submitted to IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, on January 16, 2023.
- Hekmati Arvin, Eugenio Grippo, and Bhaskar Krishnamachari. “Neural Networks for
DDoS Attack Detection using an Enhanced Urban IoT Dataset”. International Conference
on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN), July 25 – 28, 2022.
- Tzanis Anevlavis, Jonathan Bunton, Jared Coleman, Mine Dogan, Eugenio Grippo,
Abel Souza, Christina Fragouli, Bhaskar Krishnamachari, Matthew Maness, Karl Olson,
Prashant Shenoy, Paulo Tabuada, Gunjan Verma. “Network Synthesis for Tactical
Environments: Scenario, Challenges, and Opportunities”. SPIE Defense + Commercial
Sensing. Orlando, Florida, USA, April 3- 7, 2022.
- Jared Coleman, Eugenio Grippo, Bhaskar Krishnamachari, Gunjan Verma. “Multi-
Objective Network Synthesis for Dispersed Computing in Tactical Environments”. SPIE Defense + Commercial Sensing. Orlando, Florida, USA, April 3- 7, 2022.
- Jonckheere, Edmond, and Eugenio Grippo. “Anticipation of Line Tripping Cascade by
Grid Curvature and Entropy”. International Conference on Electrical, Computer and
Energy Technologies. Cape Town, South Africa, on Dec 9 – 10, 2021. (Presenter).
- Hekmati Arvin, Eugenio Grippo, and Bhaskar Krishnamachari. “Large-scale Urban IoT
Activity Data for DDoS Attack Emulation”. Proceedings of the 19th ACM Conference on
Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, pages 560-564, November 15-18, 2021.
- Krishnamachari, Bhaskar, Qi Feng, and Eugenio Grippo. “Dynamic Automated Market
Makers for Decentralized Cryptocurrency Exchange”. 2021 IEEE International Conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (ICBC), on May 3-6, 2021.
- E. Jonckheere, E. Grippo and R. Banirazi. “Curvature, Entropy, Congestion
Management and the Power Grid”. 3rd IEEE Conference on Control Technology and
Applications (2019 CCTA), Hong Kong, China, on August 19-21, 2019. (Presenter /
Chair of the Section).
- E. Jonckheere and E. Grippo. “Ollivier-Ricci Curvature approach to Cost-Effective Power Grid Congestion Management”. 31st Chinese Control and Decision Conference (2019 CCDC), Nanchang, China, on June 3-5, 2019. (Presenter).
- E. Jonckheere, E. Grippo and Reza Banirazi, “Congestion Management for Cost-
effective Power Grid Load Balancing using FACTS and Energy Storage Devices allocated via Grid Curvature Means”, 2019 American Control Conference, Philadelphia, PA, USA on July 10-12, 2019. (Presenter / Chair of the Section).
- E. Jonckheere and E. Grippo. “Effective resistance criterion for negative curvature:
application to congestion control.” In 2016 IEEE Conference on Control Applications
(CCA), Part of 2016 IEEE Multi-Conference on Systems and Control, pages 129–136,
Buenos Aires, Argentina, Sept. 19-22, 2016. (Presenter).