Students are responsible for knowing the following:

Policy Statement

Occidental College seeks to provide an inclusive and non-discriminatory environment by making it possible for students to use a lived first name and pronouns on college records when a legal name is not required.

Requesting a lived name and/or pronoun

If you would live to update your lived name and/or pronouns on the College’s records, go to the “Lived Name and Pronoun Policy" link in the MyOxy student gateway and complete the form. The Intercultural Community Center will notify you once your request has been received and approved. Once your request has been approved, you will obtain a new Oxy Student ID card displaying your lived name. The Card Office is located in the Iron Man Room on the 2nd floor of the Johnson Student Center, South. There is no fee for the new card. If you would like a new photo, there is a $5 charge.

Choosing Your Lived Name

The lived name policy allows you to change your first name in internal Occidental databases. Choice of a lived name must be appropriate and cannot be an attempt at misrepresentation or fraud.

*Please note:  When changing your name, it is important to consider situations in which you will be using your lived name, and decide whether or not you will need your name to be consistent on all records and forms of ID. For example, when you are searching for a job, will you be using your lived name on your resume and in all interviews? Remember that your legal name will appear on your transcript, diploma, financial aid documents, visa documents, and W-2 forms. It is important to know that if you want to change your lived name back to your legal name for any reason, you may do so. Additionally, some mailings and bills from the College will go to your parents or guardians, and will reflect your legal name. 

Contact  Vanessa Gonzalez-Wright  if you would like to discuss choosing your lived name, or if you need ongoing support related to your gender identity, gender expression or sexual identity.

Guide to Name and Gender Marker Change in California and L.A. County

Oxy community members who wish to learn more about how to change their legal name and/or gender marker and LA county can find more information here.

LGBTQIA+ Support at Oxy


Frequently Asked Questions

On what College records will my lived name and/or gender appear?

Lived name and pronouns will sometimes appear on internal College records such as advisee lists, class lists, Grades & Academic Record (“GAR"), major/minor lists, Oxy ID look-up, student directory, class wait lists, clearance forms and reports, grade submission, course evaluations (Third-party program) and class schedules.

There may be some situations, if you indicate a lived name, where it may be necessary to clarify that your lived name is different from your legal name. Examples of this include official interactions with police, security, and/or law enforcement, and verification of medical records.

Are there records that will still have my legal name and/or gender?

There are some records that legally require the use of legal names.

The College is not permitted to use a lived name on these records. Examples include your enrollment verification, transcript, diploma, financial aid documents, visa documents, w-2 forms, and third party reports.

How can I change my name and/or gender on those records requiring a legal name and/or gender?

Changes to these records require a legal name change. Find more information on how to secure a legal name change.

Once you secure a legal name change and provide documentation to the registrar’s office, campus directories will be updated with the legal name.

We recognize that members who identify as LGBTQIA+ experience higher levels of discrimination and psychological distress than their heterosexual and cisgender peers. Occidental strives to create a safer and compassionate campus community where all members feel welcomed, and can participate in the college experience fully without intimidation or bias. If you happen to be a student who identifies as queer and/or trans, please refer to the Queer and Trans Guide for additional resources.

If you have specific questions or would like to meet with someone related to the Lived Name & Pronoun Form, please contact the following offices:

Vanessa Gonzalez Wright
Director, Intercultural Community Center



Marisa Grover Mofford
Associate Director, International Programs Office

The Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation (DHR) Policy exists to reflect and maintain the College’s institutional values and community expectations pertaining to civil rights protected by law; to provide for fair and equitable procedures for determining when the DHR Policy has been violated; and to provide recourse for all members of the College community who allege violations of the Policy. For concerns related to the DHR Policy or concerns of gender or sex discrimination or harassment, you may  submit an online report  or contact:

Alexandra Fulcher
Civil Rights & Title IX Coordinator





Contact Student Affairs about the Handbook