Lesley Chiou's research is in the areas of Industrial Organization and Applied Econometrics. Her recent work focuses on consumer behavior and firm competition in Internet markets.
My primary fields of interest are Industrial Organization and Applied Econometrics.
Empirical applications of my work include the Internet, retail, and arts and media markets. I apply a broad range of econometric methods from structural estimation to natural experiments.
Current research interests
- platform markets
- online advertising
- Internet search
- competition between online and offline firms
- consumer response to pricing
Papers under Review
- Social Distancing, Internet Access, and Inequality
with Catherine Tucker, NBER Working Paper No. 26982.
- How Does Pharmaceutical Advertising Affect Consumer Search?
with Catherine Tucker, Management Science, revise and resubmit.
- Search Engines and Data Retention: Implications for Privacy and Antitrust
with Catherine Tucker, NBER Working Paper No. 23815.
Featured in Harvard Business Review.
- Fake News and Advertising on Social Media: A Study of the Anti-Vaccination Movement
with Catherine Tucker, NBER Working Paper No. 25223.
Published and Forthcoming Papers
- Internet Use, Competition, and Geographical Rescoping in Yellow Pages Advertising
with E. Nilay Kafali and Marc Rysman, Information Economics and Policy, forthcoming.
- Trust, Reputation, and Bidding Behavior in Online Mystery Auctions
with Jennifer Pate, Applied Economics Letters, Vol. 25, pp.702-706, 2018.
- Vertical Integration and Antitrust in Search Markets
Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Vol. 33, pp.653-685, 2017.
- Content Aggregation by Platforms: The Case of the News Media
(Earlier versions of this paper were circulated under the titles "Copyright, Digitization, and Aggregation" and "News and Online Aggregators.")
with Catherine Tucker, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, Vol. 26, pp. 782-805, 2017.
- Consumer Response to Tax Changes
with Erich Muehlegger, National Tax Journal, Vol. 67, pp. 621-650, 2014. (Online Model Appendix)
- Paywalls and the Demand for Online News
with Catherine Tucker, Information Economics and Policy, Vol. 25, pp. 61-69, 2013.
- How Does the Use of Trademarks by Third-Party Sellers Affect Online Search?
with Catherine Tucker, Marketing Science, Vol. 31, pp. 819-837, 2012.
- The Effect of Ticket Resale Laws on Consumption and Production in Performing Arts Markets
with Melissa Boyle, Eastern Economic Journal, Vol. 38, pp. 210-222, 2012.
- The Reality of Reality Television: Does Reality TV Influence Local Crime Rates?
with Mary Lopez, Economics Letters, Vol. 108, pp. 330-333, 2010
- Internet Auctions and Frictionless Commerce: Evidence from the Retail Gift Card Market
with Jennifer Pate, Review of Industrial Organization, Vol. 36, 2010.
- Empirical Analysis of Competition between Wal-Mart and Other Retail Channels
Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, Vol. 18, 2009. (Lead article)
- Broadway Productions and the Value of a Tony Award
with Melissa Boyle, Journal of Cultural Economics, Vol. 33, 2009.
- Crossing the Line: Direct Estimation of Cross-Border Cigarette Sales and the Effect on Tax Revenues
with Erich Muehlegger, The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy (Contributions), Vol. 8, Article 48, 2008.
- The Timing of Movie Releases: Evidence from the Home Video Industry
International Journal of Industrial Organization, Vol. 26, 2008. (Winner of journal's Paul Geroski Best Paper Award)
- Identification and Estimation of Mixed Logit Models under Simulation Methods
with Joan L. Walker, Journal of Econometrics, Vol. 141, 2007. Reprinted in Choice Modeling: Foundational Contributions, edited by David A. Hensher and John M. Rose, 2011.
I teach five courses during the two-semester academic year, and my courses span all levels of the curriculum.
- Econ 102: Principles of Economics II
- Econ 250: Intermediate Microeconomic Theory
- Econ 272: Applied Econometrics
- Econ 302: Industrial Organization
- Econ 495: Senior Seminar
- Econ 498: Honors Seminar