Get to know campus dining at Oxy and the sustainability initiatives across campus.
Food Studies & Sustainability at Oxy
Oxy is one of the few liberal arts colleges offering Food Studies, an exciting interdisciplinary program that extends from farm to classroom. Additionally:
- Oxy’s student-run Food, Energy, and Sustainability Team manages a campus garden and offers impactful programming such as Food Justice Month at Oxy and Oxy Iron Chef competitions.
- Oxy’s faculty share this commitment to a sustainable Oxy and many work alongside students in applied research and advocacy through the Urban & Environmental Policy Institute. Additionally, exciting plans are underway for Oxy to be 100% renewable by 2022.
Oxy’s Own Campus Dining
At Occidental we take dining seriously, and our community consistently gives Oxy's on-campus dining high marks. Dining options include the Marketplace, the casual Tiger Cooler Cafe, the student-run Green Bean Coffee Lounge and our evening Coffee Cart on upper campus.
- See what students have to say about the Green Bean, going behind the scenes, from the point-of-view of a student barista and going back 10 years into its history.
- Discover menu hacks for Cooler Classics with a Twist.
- Watch this video to learn what's on the menu at the Marketplace, how to order and where to eat.
Not only is the food delicious, but Oxy's Dining Services is also environmentally friendly. Campus Dining is a signatory to the Real Food Challenge commitment, and we strive to obtain as much of our food as possible from local and sustainable sources.
Unlike other institutions, dining is not outsourced. Campus Dining is proudly "Oxy's Own," which allows us to be directly connected and responsive to our customers. And it shows! Oxy is regularly ranked at the top of national campus dining comparisons:
- Daily Meal ranks Oxy at #8 for Best Colleges for food in America
- College Consensus ranks Oxy at #9 for Best College Dining Halls
- Niche ranks Oxy at #7 for Best College Food in California
And on the rare occasion that students are looking for alternatives to campus dining, Oxy is proud to feature Food Trucks on the quad each week for more variety in the on-campus lunch hour.