Here's a (pretty thorough) list of what you need to be eligible to apply...
1. Be a high school graduate or show proof of completion of your GED.
2. Complete at least one semester (16 units) of academic courses at an accredited college or university by the time of application AND have completed two semesters (32 units) at the point of your anticipated enrollment. Please note that we do not accept first-year spring transfers. (More info below on transferable credits, general education requirements, and major requirements.)
3. Be prepared to enroll at Occidental full time. Full-time status is defined as enrolling in 12 academic credits (usually three courses) per term. Please note, to make adequate progress toward graduation, 16 units (usually four courses) must be completed each term.
Although we accept applications from any student who meets the above criteria, our most competitive applicants usually possess the following characteristics:
- Enrollment at an accredited college or university for at least one year (two or more semesters)
- A history of carrying a full course load (typically defined as three to four academic courses per term)
- Maintaining a 3.6 GPA or better in academic coursework
As a transfer, you must spend a minimum of two years at Oxy to earn your degree. This means you need to complete 64 of 128 total units at Oxy. However, transfer students are eligible to participate in Oxy-sponsored study abroad and exchange programs (which qualify toward your two-year residency).
If you are offered admission to Oxy, the Registrar will provide a preliminary evaluation of your transcript(s). They will assign credit for transferable work, determine your standing (junior or sophomore), and inform you of additional general education work you need to complete.
- 32 transferable units from other institutions make you a sophomore
- 64 transferable units from other institutions make you a junior
Our general education program is called the Core Program. Transfers are not required to complete all Core requirements before they join Oxy, but we do look at the breadth and depth of a student's curriculum when considering admission. (Please be aware that Oxy does not offer remediation courses.) Our General Education Worksheet can help you develop a plan before you apply.
Major requirement vary by department. We expect incoming juniors to arrive at Oxy having already completed classes in their intended major. Those students interested in Economics are expected to have completed coursework in calculus, microeconomics, and macroeconomics by the time of enrollment at Oxy. Given the demand for the Media Arts and Culture (MAC) major and the particular sequencing of classes, transfer students are not able to pursue the MAC major but are welcome to consult with MAC faculty in developing a five-course MAC minor. Given the course sequencing and demands of the Music major, students interested in pursuing a Music major must complete 3 full years of coursework at Occidental.
Please review our course catalog for more info. You may also look at specific major requirements through any academic department's site. Typically departments will require course descriptions and reading lists to determine if courses are transferable.