Find everything you need to know about living, learning and working on campus as we continue the in-person Oxy experience during COVID-19.
Oxy’s COVID Operations Group (COG) continues to monitor campus and community levels of COVID and the latest pandemic developments. The guidelines for the fall semester below reflect the latest guidance from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, the CDC, Emmons Student Wellness Center staff, and Oxy's epidemiological consultant, Dr. Kim Shriner '80 H’22.
After more than two years of COVID, we know that everyone is experiencing pandemic fatigue. Still, we urge your continued vigilance. As always, our protocols are subject to change based upon how the pandemic continues to evolve on and off campus.
Oxy’s Fall 2022 testing falls into three categories: Required, Indicated, and Discretionary. COVID testing is available on the 2nd floor of the Arthur G. Coons Administrative Center (AGC), Mondays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. More details on testing
Current Masking Guidance
- As of Sept. 26, masking is no longer mandatory for indoor spaces on campus - with the exception of Emmons, the AGC COVID testing site, and Oxy vans and other forms of group transportation.
- Outside of these few exceptions, masks will be strongly recommended for all indoor and crowded outdoor spaces on campus. Masking in classrooms is strongly recommended and, as always, faculty members may require that masks be worn in their classrooms.
All students, faculty, and staff must be fully vaccinated and boosted in order to be on campus. Specifically:
- All Oxy students, faculty, and staff, including contracted employees who work indoors, must be up-to-date on COVID vaccinations–defined as having the initial vaccine series plus at least one booster dose.
- If you haven’t already done so, please upload your proof of vaccination and booster(s) to the MyHealth Portal at myhealth.oxy.edu.
- Religious and medical exemptions must be approved by Emmons (for students) or by Human Resources (for employees).
Quarantine & Isolation
Los Angeles County Public Health requires a 5-10 day isolation period for anyone who tests positive for COVID. The length of isolation depends on the severity of illness and symptoms. Oxy will continue to follow Los Angeles County guidelines for contact tracing and exposure management when we identify positive cases on campus. More details on isolation
Visitor and Event Guidelines
- We strongly recommend that Oxy visitors be fully vaccinated or have received a negative COVID test within 48 hours before arriving on campus.
- Visitors must be masked at all times indoors. Masks must be surgical grade or higher.
- Visitors with COVID-like symptoms or who have tested positive for COVID should not come to campus.
- Food may be served at campus events held indoors and outdoors.
- Food service staff must remain masked when serving food.
- Individual event planners may choose to implement additional restrictions based on the specific nature of their event and/or audience.