Find everything you need to know about living, learning and working on campus as we continue the in-person Oxy experience during COVID-19.
Oxy’s COVID Operations Group (COG) continues to monitor campus and community levels of COVID and the latest pandemic developments. After nearly three years of COVID, we know that everyone is experiencing pandemic fatigue. Still, we urge your continued vigilance. As always, our protocols are subject to change based upon how the pandemic continues to evolve on and off campus.
To help ensure a healthy return to campus for the spring semester, the COVID Operations Group (COG) wants to provide some reminders about safety precautions we can all take to help keep campus positivity low. We are grateful for your active participation in our campus-wide effort to keep Oxy healthy, and to promote and maintain our community of care.
Required Testing - Spring 2023
- All students must do a PCR test on campus within the first 10 days of returning to Oxy (by Thursday, Feb. 2 at the latest).
- Those who have tested positive for COVID within the past 90 days do not need to do a PCR test and are exempt from this requirement.
- Students, staff, and faculty who have recently traveled outside of Los Angeles within the past week should test as soon as possible upon their return to campus.
- Anyone experiencing symptoms or who was exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID should test right away.
- The AGC is open for PCR testing Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Testing for COVID before returning to Oxy is strongly recommended for students, staff, and faculty, especially those who have recently traveled. There is no requirement to submit your negative pre-arrival test results to Oxy.
- Do not return to campus if you receive a positive test result, and contact email@example.com if you need information on isolation or returning to campus.
- Tests are readily available over the counter and insurance companies are required to reimburse the cost of eight tests per month per member. For more information on testing, visit ph.lacounty.gov/covidtests.
Other Preventative Measures
- Masks are strongly recommended in all indoor and crowded outdoor spaces, and masks are required in healthcare settings (Emmons, AGC test site) and on Oxy transportation.
- Faculty continue to be able to require masking in their classrooms and learning spaces.
- Oxy community members should stay home when sick to reduce the spread of illness to others.
- Get the most recent COVID bivalent booster and an annual flu shot.
Masks remain one of our strongest mitigation tools to stop the spread of COVID and other respiratory illnesses that are circulating at high levels, including flu and RSV (respiratory syncytial virus), and to prevent a post-holiday surge in cases at Oxy.
In line with L.A. County guidance, we strongly recommend wearing a high-quality mask indoors and in crowded outdoor spaces at all times, but particularly during your first 10 days back on campus from winter break.
Masks continue to be required in healthcare settings (Emmons, AGC test site) and on Oxy transportation. Faculty continue to be able to require masking in their classrooms and learning spaces.
Other Preventative Measures
As COVID rates in L.A. remain high, we encourage washing hands frequently.
Oxy community members should stay home when sick.
Even if you test negative for COVID, other respiratory illnesses can cause serious illness, hospitalization, and death, and are easily spread to others.
Get the most recent COVID bivalent booster and an annual flu shot.
Quarantine & Isolation
Los Angeles County Public Health requires a 5-10 day isolation period for anyone who tests positive for COVID. The length of isolation depends on the severity of illness and symptoms. Oxy will continue to follow Los Angeles County guidelines for contact tracing and exposure management when we identify positive cases on campus. More details on isolation