Financing Your Student's Education

Oxy staff are available to answer questions about financial aid, tuition payment and student billing.

When will my student get their tuition bill? How can I access it?

The College bills each month, on or around the 15th. Bill are issued to the student through electronic billing (eBills). If your student is receiving financial aid and has completed their financial aid paperwork, the financial aid award will appear on their first bill of the semester as a credit. Students will be able to access their eBill by logging into their myOxy account. Your student can authorize someone else to view their account and pay their student account balance by adding an authorized user. Authorized users may be added and deleted as necessary, but only by the student. It is the student's responsibility to set up authorized users for their student account. Once added, the authorized user specified will receive an email notification which contains an initial eBill password and login instructions. An email notification will be sent to each address provided when a new eBill becomes available.

What is tuition insurance?

Occidental offers an optional Tuition Refund Plan, administered by GradGuard, which protects your educational investment by reimbursing tuition and room and board charges should your student need to withdraw from school due to a physical or mental illness or accident. This plan extends and enhances the College's published refund policy. This plan is optional, but if you wish to participate, it is vital that you submit an application with payment directly to GradGuard before the first day of classes. Please click here to learn more about the plan.

What is student health insurance?

Students must have health insurance in order to enroll at Oxy. The Occidental Student Health Insurance Program (OSHIP) premium cost for the 2017-2018 academic year is estimated to be $2,600, but may be waived for students who are covered under a parent's policy or have other healthcare coverage. The Emmons Wellness Center will have the waiver available online on the summer for the following academic year, and additional information will be provided at that time. You can view the Emmons billing and insurance frequently asked questions or contact for more information.

When does my student's financial aid award post to their student account?

For most awards, estimated financial aid is posted to the student's account once the Financial Aid Office has received and processed all documents and the student's financial aid file is complete. Financial aid is not posted for outside aid such as private scholarships until the College receives the funds/check from the outside organization. Prior to the first day of classes, awards will be posted as estimated aid.  Financial aid funds are disbursed and available as of the first day of classes.

Do we need to resubmit the FAFSA or CSS PROFILE every year?

Each year a family must reapply for need-based financial aid (grants, scholarships, loans, work study). The FAFSA is required each year, as are parent and student tax documents. The CSS Profile is not required again. Instead, Oxy has two supplemental applications that are free to complete. Reminders about reapplying for aid are sent to students in January, with all documents due by March 2.

If there is a change in our family circumstances, how can we request additional financial aid?

If you have changes in your financial circumstances, contact the Financial Aid Office for guidance on additional documentation to submit in order for reconsideration to occur.

Can my student have an on-campus job if they don't have work study?

Yes. While most jobs on-campus are reserved for students with work study, there are a few departments that can and do hire non-work study students. The job description will indicate whether work study is preferred or required. The Human Resources Office posts jobs available for non-work study students.

How are the Financial Aid Office and the Student Business Services Office different? What types of questions would each address? 

The Financial Aid Office can answer questions regarding financial aid applications, award amounts and missing documents for financial aid processing.  The Student Business Services Office issues the tuition bill and can clarify questions related to billing and charges on student accounts.


Financial Aid Office
Phone: (323) 259-2548

Student Business Services
Phone: (323) 259-2610