Employees and students are expected to participate in diagnostic testing which will help the college assess the presence and potential spread of COVID-19 within the campus community. Symptom-Based Testing is available for all college community members.
For Spring 2021, we will use the following testing protocols to maintain a safe and healthy community:
- Universal Routine Testing: Community members currently living on campus and staff and faculty working on campus must submit to twice weekly COVID-19 tests over the course of the spring semester. These tests will be laboratory-based salivary tests.
- Results are anticipated to be received in 24-36 hours.
- In the event that an individual tests positive for COVID-19, employees will be required to follow the Occidental College Isolation and Quarantine Protocol as well as work with Emmons staff who will conduct contact tracing protocol.
- Off-campus students are eligible for routine testing and are required to be tested to use any campus services.
- Symptom-Based Testing: Day-to-day COVID-19 testing utilizing a rapid, point-of-care nasal swab, will be available at Emmons for individuals who exhibit symptoms associated with COVID-19 or have been exposed to a positive case of COVID-19. Qualification for testing will be determined by a telemedical consultation with an Emmons provider. Critical indicators for testing include fever over 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, respiratory symptoms such as cough or difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, or recent prolonged contact with an individual who has recently tested positive for COVID-19.
- Confirmatory Testing: Continued use of nasopharyngeal RT-PCR test for confirmatory testing of positives as needed. These tests are covered by insurance and are used to validate the results of positive rapid tests.
- Guidelines for Participation in Testing Protocols:
- All students using campus for any reason must receive a rapid test upon arrival before accessing campus and then engage in twice weekly routine testing.
- All staff & faculty coming to campus weekly for work for more than one continuous hour per week must receive a rapid test on their first day back, before beginning work, and then engage in twice weekly routine testing.
- For occasional or irregular visits to campus for work related matters by staff & faculty that is for more than one continuous hour per visit, they must arrange with Emmons to receive a rapid Covid test on the day they will be on campus, before beginning work on campus.
- Employees on vacation or furlough are not required to test during their week(s) away from campus. Employees returning to campus from vacation or furlough must schedule a rapid test with Emmons on their first day of return to campus, before beginning work on campus.
- All tests will be administered on M/TH or T/F. Staff & Faculty with difficult scheduling issues will work with their supervisor and/or Emmons to find alternative accommodations.