Students are responsible for knowing the following:
It is the policy of Occidental College (“Occidental” or the “College”) to maintain an environment for students, faculty, administrators, staff, and visitors that is free of all forms of discrimination and harassment.
The College prohibits discrimination and harassment on the basis of; sex, race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, religious belief, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. The College also prohibits retaliation against a person who reports, complains about, or who otherwise participates in good faith in any proceeding related to this Policy.
Occidental does not discriminate on the basis of any protected class in its educational, extracurricular, athletic, or other programs, or in the context of employment. The College complies with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Immigration and Nationality Act, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the California Fair Employment and Housing Act, California Unruh Civil Rights Act, and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws addressing discrimination and equal opportunity.
Please refer to the Sexual Misconduct Policy
To review policies related to other forms of discrimination, please visit the Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Policy:
Reporting Unlawful Discrimination or Harassment
- Individuals who believe they are victims of, or witnesses to, unlawful sexual or gender discrimination or harassment are urged to report such incidents as soon as possible to a trusted supervisor, academic instructor, or the Interim Title IX Coordinator, Jody Shipper by email at email@example.com or phone: 323-259-1338.
Other Forms of Discrimination:
- Individuals who believe that they are victims of, or witnesses to, all forms of discrimination, other than sex discrimination are urged to report such incidents as soon as possible to Erica O'Neal Howard, Senior Associate Dean of Students, Dean of Students office, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone (323) 259-2661.
Investigation and hearing procedures for students are available at: http://www.oxy.edu/sexual-assault-resources-support/policies-procedures#IX. Options for Resolution
In addition to the College's internal remedies, external remedies are available for students through:
- The United States Office of Civil Rights, 50 United Nations Plaza, San Francisco, CA 94102; 1-415-586-5555
External remedies for employees are available through:
- The United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Roybal Federal Building, 255 East Temple St., 4th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90012; 1-800-669-4000
- California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, 1055 West 7th Street, Suite 1400 Los Angeles, CA 90017; (213) 439-6799
Last Updated August 19, 2016