The Hameetman Career Center offers remote and online access to career resources and events from anywhere in the world.
Find answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding career readiness. Please send additional inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What support is available to help with my job or internship search?
Career Services offers workshops to educate and prepare students on how to conduct a job/internship search. Students can find dates and times for various workshops in Handshake (select the Events tab).
All students should complete Career Education Seminars HCC 101, HCC 102, and HCC 200 to ensure a solid understanding of career services, career exploration, and how to conduct an effective job or internship search. Students may also schedule an appointment with a career advisor.
We encourage you to continue exploring internship and job opportunities and building your transferable skills. Think broadly about your career options and consider pursuing multiple career paths. Continue to identify ways to learn new skills and to expand your network of contacts through academic projects, volunteering, part-time work, and paid or unpaid internships.
Will Career Services host events where I can meet potential employers?
Yes! The Employer Engagement team will schedule employer recruiting events throughout the semester, including information sessions, Industry Spotlights, and alumni panels. Additionally, students will have a chance to meet employers at Oxy’s Career Fair during the Spring 2022 semester. Check the Events tab on Handshake and the Career Services Instagram (@oxycareers) to learn which employers are recruiting at Oxy.
What is Handshake?
Handshake is the career exploration and job search platform available to all Oxy students and employers. Oxy students may access their Handshake account at any time and from anywhere in the world. Students can use Handshake to explore career options, find and apply to jobs and internships, and connect with employers.
I am a new student. How do I activate my Handshake account?
All Oxy students are automatically given a Handshake account. Follow these steps to activate your account and access all of the resources:
- Visit oxy.joinhandshake.com.
- Sign in with your Oxy email and password.
- Get familiar with Handshake: begin with the “Events” and “Career Center” tabs.
What online tools can I use to look for a job or internship?
Handshake is the Hameetman Career Center’s primary tool for online job/internship searches as it is designed specifically for college students. You may also consider searching through CareerShift, Chegg Internships, and other online resources.
If you are interested in an informal/personal job (such as a nanny, dog walker, or personal assistant) visit the Occidental College Switchboard.
Can the Hameetman Career Center help me get an on-campus job?
The Hameetman Career Center helps students prepare for professional internships, full-time jobs, and other post-graduate opportunities. Please consult the Oxy HR Student Employment page for information about on-campus employment.
Where can I find flexible, temporary, or freelance job opportunities?
For part-time/informal job opportunities such as a tutor, dog walker, or personal assistant, please visit the Occidental College Switchboard.
What can I do to prepare for a job/internship interview (video or in-person)?
- When scheduling the interview, try to request a date/time that allows ample time for you to prepare.
- Attend an Interview Preparation Workshop. Workshop dates and times are posted on Handshake's “Events” tab.
- Review the Interview Guide, found within “Career Center Resources” on Handshake.
- Utilize the online interview preparation platform Big Interview. Set up an account and use Big Interview to select practice questions and record a practice interview which you can send to a career advisor, faculty, or mentor for feedback.
- Dress appropriately for the interview. Wear an outfit that is either business casual or business professional (depending on the industry). If you have questions about interview attire contact Career Services at email@example.com or schedule an appointment with a career advisor.
Extra notes on video interviews:
- You should prepare for a video interview in the same manner in which you would prepare for an in-person interview. Do not assume a video interview is a casual interview; employers use the same criteria to evaluate a candidate’s professionalism whether the interview is in-person or by video.
- Check your video interview set up at least 24 hours before your scheduled interview. This includes a quiet and professional setting, a strong internet connection, and clear audio/video.
Can I earn academic credit for a Fall 2021 internship?
Eligible students may enroll in INT 100/200 for academic credit. Check the eligibility requirements here.
If you are eligible and have secured a paid or unpaid, remote or on-site internship you can earn academic credit by enrolling in Oxy's INT 100 or INT 200. An internship job description and offer letter are required.
What donor-funded programs are available in the Hameetman Career Center?
Oxy students must meet the HCC Program Requirements to become eligible for the following donor-funded programs.
- InternLA Summer Internship Program - Paid summer internship opportunity with Los Angeles-based nonprofits, available to eligible sophomores, juniors, and December-graduating seniors
- Unpaid Internship Stipend - Need-based funding for student-secured unpaid internships
- Harvard Business School Online - Online courses to further your career goals
- OxyWorks Internship Program - Paid internships available exclusively to eligible Oxy students.
What are the eligibility requirements for HCC Programs?
To become eligible for HCC Programs students must complete the HCC Program Requirements listed below. Visit the “Events” tab on Handshake to see upcoming dates.
- Resume Writing Workshop
- Interview Preparation Workshop
- HCC 101: Introduction to Career Services
- HCC 102: Introduction to Career Exploration
- HCC 200: Job & Internship Search Bootcamp*
*HCC 200 is highly encouraged for the class of 2022 and is required for all other classes.
How can I verify my completion of HCC Program Requirements?
Check your Handshake account to see which requirements you have completed.
- Visit Handshake, click on your initials or avatar in the upper right corner, and select "My Profile." Scroll to the bottom of your profile and review the "Public Labels" section on the left side.
- If you have not yet attended a required seminar you will not see the "Public Labels" section. Check back after you've attended your first workshop.
What is the InternLA Program?
InternLA is a paid internship program designed to encourage talented Oxy students to gain real-world work experience over the summer with organizations throughout the Los Angeles area. Students selected for an InternLA internship receive a summer program educational stipend to subsidize some of their transportation and housing expenses. InternLA internships are for 10 weeks starting in May and ending in July. Learn more about InternLA.
How can I become eligible for InternLA?
Sophomores, juniors, and December-graduating seniors who meet the Hameetman Career Center eligibility requirements are eligible to apply for summer 2022 InternLA opportunities.
What services are available to recent graduates?
Oxy Alumni have access to Hameetman Career Center resources, including advising appointments, for three (3) years post-graduation. For assistance with interview preparation, reviewing resume/cover letter documents, developing a job search strategy, or any other career-related questions, Alumni should make appointments with a career advisor via Handshake.
What resources are available to alumni?
The Hameetman Career Center provides advising services to Alumni three (3) years post-graduation as our services are best aligned to support current Oxy students and recent graduates. The Office of Alumni and Parent Engagement has an Oxy Switchboard to assist with connecting Alumni with one another and additional resources.
How can I recruit at Oxy?
There are several opportunities for employer engagement at the Hameetman Career Center. Possibilities include hosting an information session, participating in our annual Career Fair, and more. Please see our Employers page for more information about our recruitment schedule.
What is Handshake?
In an effort to connect our students with your opportunities, we provide access to a centralized resource called Handshake, where employers can post and students can apply to available listings.
Beyond recruitment, Handshake is also the resource we use to engage with employers for events. These events include career fairs, information sessions, and other events hosted on campus or at an employer's location.
How can I post a professional job or internship on Handshake?
To become a part of this community and connect with our students, please follow the simple steps below.
- Visit https://oxy.joinhandshake.com/register
- Click on "Employer"
- Complete the "Sign-up as an Employer" form then click the orange "Sign Up" button
- On the next page, select your industry and input your alma mater (not required) then press "Next: Employer Guidelines"
- At this time, you will be asked to confirm that you are not a third-party recruiter.
- After you confirm that you are not a third party recruiter, press "Submit"
- In ten minutes or less, check the email inbox of the email you provided. Click the confirmation link.
- A member of our team will review your submission over the next few business days.
- Upon approval, you will be able to post opportunities in Handshake.
I am looking to hire an Oxy student for a flexible, temporary, or freelance job (tutor, dog walker, personal assistant, etc.). Is there a place to share this opportunity?
Personal jobs and opportunities should be posted on the Occidental College Switchboard.