Your career development begins here
Students are ultimately responsible for their career development, and there is no better time than the present to get started. The Career Services team is especially adept at helping students take the early steps required to lay a solid foundation in career-readiness.
The Hameetman Career Center offers a comprehensive, three-part career education series to help Oxy students obtain the fundamental career-readiness knowledge and skills needed to get off to a great start. The career education series includes HCC 101 and 102; HCC 200; and HCC 300.
To get started, we encourage students to attend HCC 101 and HCC 102.
The student-centered culture at Oxy aligns with the career advising approach at the Hameetman Career Center. Students benefit from individual and small group career advising, and our experienced professionals help students explore and evaluate their varied career interests. We encourage you to meet with a career advisor early and often. To schedule an appointment with a career advisor go to Handshake.
Career Education Seminars
HCC 101: Introduction to Career Services
- HCC 101 introduces students to career services at Oxy.
- Students learn about career resources; HCC technology; employer and alumni events; and how to make the most of their career development at Oxy.
Who should attend HCC 101? All students, specifically first-year and sophomore students. The seminar is 1.5 hours long and is offered at various times throughout the year, including weekends.
Formerly HCC 100 Part 1
HCC 102: Introduction to Career Exploration
- HCC 102 exposes students to the stages of career development.
- Students explore degree majors and possible career paths, develop a plan for career-building summer experiences, and lay the groundwork for pursuing a variety of employment opportunities.
Who should attend HCC 102? All students, specifically first-year and sophomore students. The seminar is 1.5 hours long and is offered at various times throughout the year, including weekends.
Formerly HCC 100 Part 2
HCC 200: Job and Internship Search Bootcamp
- HCC 200 is designed for all students interested in learning the process for conducting an effective internship or job search.
- Students learn the foundational skills needed to design an effective search strategy.
Who should attend HCC 200? All students who have completed HCC 101 and 102, sophomores and juniors seeking internships, and seniors seeking full-time employment. The seminar is 1 hour long and is offered at various times throughout the year, including weekends.
HCC 300: College to Career Planning
- Seniors will work closely with a career advisor to develop and execute a targeted job search strategy.
- Students will also learn valuable tips on how to ensure a successful first year on the job.
Who should attend HCC 300? Seniors seeking professional full-time employment after graduation. Juniors may also attend. The seminar is 1 hour long and is offered at various times throughout the year.