CALPIRG Students is a student organization here that works to protect the environment, fight hunger and homelessness, and promote civic engagement. And @oxy.calpirg is our own campus chapter.
This Fall our priority campaign is our New Voters Project.
New Voters Project works with college campuses, cities, and states to make it easier, safer, and more accessible for students to vote. They’re building support for statewide reforms including automatic voter registration and vote by mail. New Voters Project also works with campuses to be ready to run a virtual civic engagement program in the fall. Additionally, they're connecting with college campus administrators to make voting and civic engagement more institutionalized in residence halls, class registration, and other aspects of student life.
- Want to join the national New Voters Project calls? RSVP here!
- Want to learn more about transitioning your civic engagement program online? Check out the Digital Toolkit!
StudentVote.org was launched by the Student PIRGs in partnership with Rock the Vote. Since 2008, we’ve worked with more than one hundred campus and group partners. Below are our premier partners.
- Voting Resources: Need to check your registration status? Want to learn about voter ID and other requirements? Find all the information you need to vote in your state here.
- Get Involved: Interested in interning, volunteering, or getting other students to turn out to vote? Find out ways to get involved here.
Pledge to support our work to turn out the youth vote!
CALPIRG is our student run and funded non-profit that was started over 50 years ago to make social change and train the next generations of activists! We are currently focused on our campaign to help turn out the youth vote!
Our democracy works best when we all participate and everyone weighs in on who gets elected. We believe that the full participation of young people in the political process is essential to a truly representative, vibrant democracy. Together young people have the power to elect the next generation of leaders who will fight for our shared vision of the future, but only if we vote. Through class presentations, educational events, and online outreach we work to make sure every student has the opportunity to have their voice heard in our elections. Together we can have an impact on our future, on our state, and the country. Your pledge gives us the resources, political power, and the grassroots organizing power to make a difference.
Your pledge gives us the resources, political power, and the grassroots pressure to win on this issue.
Your membership also supports our other campaign work from tackling climate change, making textbooks affordable by switching to Open Source books, and more!
As busy college students, pledging to support our student-directed nonprofit is an amazing way to help with these issues. Thanks to our pledging members in the past few years we have:
- Passed Prop 67 to ban single-use plastic bags in CA
- Helped over 50,000 students register to vote
- Defended 2.6 billion dollars in Pell Grant funding for student financial aid
- Committed the UC System to 100% clean renewable electricity
- And helped campuses across the state make commitments to banning single-use plastic!
Pledge and you'll join thousands of other students this year in becoming a new member of CALPIRG Students, helping build a campus and state-wide movement for our student voice to be heard.