Internships provide students the opportunity to apply the critical thinking skills they acquire through their liberal arts education while gaining practical work experience in a variety of fields.
According to a recent Job Report from the National Association of Colleges and Employers, 81% of new college hires had either an co-op or internship experience.
Benefits of an internship (paid or unpaid):
- Learn more about a chosen field.
- Apply classroom theory to real work situations.
- Become more knowledgeable about general work functions in particular fields.
- Identify and/or test interests and talents.
- Investigate organizational cultures.
- Learn career-related skills.
- Identify transferable skills.
- Strengthen written and oral skills.
- Find out what it's like to work in a business environment.
- Enhance and strengthen your resume.
- Expand your professional network to gain future employment.
Recent Occidental Internship Sites
The Autry Museum
Center Theatre Group
City of Hope
Dine Brands Global Corp.
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy
Los Angeles Zoo
Mercedes-Benz Arena Shanghai
Office of the Mayor of Los Angeles
Payden & Rygel
Southern California Association of Non-Profit Housing