The Critical Making Studio is a makerspace open to all Oxy students, faculty, and staff. This space on the ground floor of Academic Commons is designed to encourage and support creative collaboration.
The Critical Making Studio (CMS) provides a space for collaboration and creativity, and welcomes students, faculty, and staff to utilize this space for group meetings, events, and workshops. This space features a 3-D Printer, audio recording equipment and sound booth, iMacs equipped with Adobe Creative Cloud, a sewing machine, crafting materials, and more that enable students to design and create across multiple media.
Sewing and Crafting
The sewing machine and crafting supplies – including a button maker, fabric cutter, sketch books, markers and more – are available to students for use in the CMS anytime the Academic Commons is open. Bring your own crafting materials or use our various papers, yarn and fabrics.
iMacs with Adobe Creative Cloud
The computer stations in the CMS are available to anyone with Oxy login credentials.
The Prusa Research i3 MK3S+ 3D printer, located within the Critical Making Studio (CMS) on the ground floor of the Academic Commons, is a resource available to Oxy students, faculty, and staff to transform their digital designs into tangible, three-dimensional objects. It serves as a user-friendly and easily accessible tool, promoting creativity and innovation in the maker space.
To use the 3D printer, individuals can submit their requests using the 3D print request form. Whether you have created a design using computer-aided design (CAD) software or discovered a suitable design from online repositories like Thingiverse or Printables, the 3D printer can bring your vision to life. For any inquiries, further information, or assistance with the request form please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Audio Booth is a reservable space for Oxy Students, Faculty, and Staff to create audio recordings. The Audio Booth is located inside the Critical Making Studio (CMS) on the ground floor of the Academic Commons. Oxy Students, Faculty, and Staff can reserve Audio Booth sessions in 1-hour blocks (maximum 3 sessions per day) by filling out the booking form. See Reservation Details (below) for booking instructions. If you have further questions or need additional information, please email email@example.com.
Audio Booth Hours
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00PM - 11:00PM
Friday - Saturday: 4:00PM - 9:00PM
Audio Booth Reservation Details
- Navigate to the Audio Booth booking form.
- Note: The QR Code posted outside the audio booth will also navigate to the booking form.
- Select the date and start time of your session reservation from the available dates and times shown in the center of the page.
- Note: If you are scheduling a session more than one week in advance, first select the date from the calendar on the left side of the page.
- In the pop-up window, enter your first name, last name, Oxy email address, and Oxy ID number in the corresponding fields.
- Note: The Major/Department field is optional.
- Confirm your reservation by clicking “Book.”
- To reserve additional one-hour blocks, repeat steps 1 through 4.
- Once your reservation has been confirmed, an email confirmation will be sent to your Oxy email address, and the booking will be added to your calendar.
- To access the Audio Booth for your session, be prepared to present your Oxy ID to the Assistant at the CMS Help Desk. Also, please arrive on-time; sessions are subject to cancellation 30 minutes after your booking’s start time.