Welcome to Oxy! For all of your technology needs, please contact the Technology Helpdesk at 323-259-2880 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
[view or download the ITS faculty onboarding packet]
Request Computer & Specialized Software
We will be contacting you over the summer to ask about your computer and software needs so that we are able to provide you with a computer and any software you need when you arrive in the fall.
Confirm Wifi Access
Once annually, the Oxy Community will be asked to register their devices on the wireless network. Usually, a window will open automatically and you can log in with your Oxy credentials. If the window doesn't open automatically, go to onet.oxy.edu to register.
- How to register a device
Log into My Oxy
Log in to MyOxy (my.oxy.edu) to ensure your oxy.edu account is set up. MyOxy is the online portal for internal resources and links within the Oxy Community. From here you can change your password, access your class roster and advising lists, submit Care Reports and Academic Concerns, and find quick links to Google Workspace, Moodle and the Library.
- Get Help Changing Your Password
Explore Google Workspace
At Oxy we use Google apps for email, calendar invitations, document creating and sharing, chat and email lists. When you first log in, be sure that Google recognizes your oxy.edu account in addition to any personal gmail account you may have. Contact the CTE to learn more about ways to utilize Google Apps in your teaching.
- Read more about managing class email list in Google Groups
- Create appointment calendars for office hours or advising
- Get tips on managing your email inbox
- Learn more about Google Drive (Docs, Slides, Sheets, Forms, etc.)
Familiarize with Classroom AV Technology
Nearly all classrooms are equipped with a projector and screen (either a pull down screen of large TV monitor). The AV lecterns have a built in PC and also allow users to plug in a personal laptop via HDMI. Most classrooms have a "switcher" that allows you to change between the built in PC and your personal laptop. Sometimes the swither is physical and sometimes it is on a touch screen.
- It can be useful to get aquainted with your classroom(s) ahead of the first day so that you are comfortable with the set up. Check the room availability via Master Calendar.
- If you'd like to schedule an appointment to go over the classroom technology set up, please contact ITS through this request form or at email@example.com.
- Learn more about types of classrooms, including Hyflex/Hybrid spaces.
Learn about Moodle
Moodle is the official learning management system (LMS) of Oxy. While faculty are not required to use Moodle or any other LMS, Moodle is our most robust and centralized way to manage course materials and communications. Moodle can be used to manage files, such as your syllabus and readings, facilitate learning activities, such collaborative annotations and paper submissions, as well as to communicate with your students through announcements and discussion forums.
Start with this Quick Tour of Moodle:
- Find Your Course
- Add Content to Your Course
- Preview Your Course as a Student
- Make Your Course Visible to Students
- Send Announcements to Your Students
Additional tutorials on how to use Moodle for various learning objectives can be found on the Moodle Help website.
Please send your Moodle questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be happy to assist you.
Place Course Reserves
View information on setting up Course reserves.
Explore Virtual and Flipped Classroom Tools
All Oxy Faculty have access to licensed accounts in Zoom. To access this account, be sure to sign in with "SSO" and go to occidental.zoom.us to ensure you have access to all paid features. Webinar accounts are limited and can be requested via email@example.com.
Panopto is a tool for interactive lecture capture that is integrated within Moodle. It offers searchable transcripts, integration of slides and graphics, and interactive quizes. It also allows the creator of the video to see who has viewed the materials.
- Read more about Panopto
Access Software for Teaching and Learning
Most academic software is now accessible to students via the Oxy Virtual Computer Lab. The Virtual Lab has SPSS, STATA, Matlab, Mathematica and more.
- How to access the Oxy Virtual Computer Lab
Other systems that support teaching and learning are available upon request to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Qualtrics for survey data collection
- Dedoose for qualitative data analysis
- Poll Eveywhere for interactive polls embedded in slideshows
- ArcGIS online for mapping
- OxyCreates for web hosting