Doxxing involves maliciously revealing someone's personal information to the public, with the intention of humiliation, harassment, or even identity theft. This harmful activity can significantly affect one's public and professional life.
Safeguarding Your Online Presence
Maintaining a responsible online presence is crucial to mitigating risks. Consider the following steps:
- Personal Audit: Regularly Google yourself to check the kind of information available about you. Be meticulous in wanting some details removed while allowing others to remain.
- Mindful Sharing: Be cautious about sharing personal details online. Recognize that you have control over where and what you post, even though some public records remain beyond your control.
- Privacy Settings: Regularly update your social media privacy settings to lessen harassment possibilities.
Controlling Your Data
You can regain control over your data existing on the internet with these steps:
- Opt-out from Data Broker Sites: Data brokers harvest information from various online platforms and sell it. Protect your data by opting out of such services. For assistance, email email@example.com. Begin with:
Enhancing Account Security
Ensure your account security is robust:
- Strong Passwords: Change your passwords regularly and use distinct passwords for different sites. Refer to Oxy’s guide on strong passwords. We recommend using a password manager such as LastPass or 1Password for optimal security.
- Limit Third-party Access: Be wary of third-party applications requesting access to your social media information, as they might misuse the data.