The Occidental Symphony Orchestra is an orchestral ensemble that plays music from the Baroque era through today. Through its collaboration with Oxy's music composition program, the Orchestra performs and records new music, including film scores written for MAC student films. The Orchestra frequently partners with the Occidental Glee Club to perform a large choral work with orchestral accompaniment. Enrollment is by audition during the first week of each semester. For Fall 2022, auditions will be in-person. Lesson scholarship and Orchestra auditions (held together) will be on Sunday, August 28 from 1-5 pm (you will get a specific slot after completing the online audition form). As the community orchestra for Northeast Los Angeles, the Orchestra is not only open to all students but also alumni and community members.
Like many other institutions across the world, we have had to cancel all in person events, including rehearsals due to the global coronavirus pandemic. However, we are still finding ways to keep busy and sending out resources! Below are some things we've been up to.
- Because they've had such a difficult year, we wanted to honor our 2021 graduating seniors. To learn a little bit about them, check out our Senior Feature.
- We were inspired by the San Francisco Symphony's snapshot of their members at home. Learn about why our members love music!
- During lockdown, we've still managed to meet as an orchestra over Zoom several times a month. If you are interested in sitting in on one of our meetings, let us know!
- Our newletter editor, Kellie Hsu, has been hard at work creating the second issue of our newsletter "The Tempo" these past few weeks. Read the most recent issue!
- Listen to our virtual recording project of "Call All the People" by Ian Doyle below!
Check out the first issue of our newsletter "The Tempo"
See what Oxy's newspaper, The Occidental, has to say about our annual fall concert in their article "Symphony Orchestra’s fall concert showcases student composers and underrepresented musicians"
The Occidental Symphony Orchestra, comprised of approximately 60 musicians (take a look at our roster), is dedicated to performing symphonic repertoire from the baroque through the twentieth century, as well as contemporary works of our time. The Symphony Orchestra is directed by Chris Younghoon Kim and presents 4 to 6 concerts per year. The orchestra has collaborated with many of today's most prominent composers including Forrest Pierce. If you would like to learn more, or if you would like to speak to a current member of the orchestra, please contact Chris Kim at email@example.com.
How to Join
Membership in the Occidental Symphony Orchestra is open to all Occidental students by audition. Auditions take place during the first couple weeks of each semester, and students must demonstrate a mastery of the material and an awareness of the musical context from which the excerpts are taken.