Interested in joining the Glee Club? You're in the right place.
Each Fall during the first week of the semester, Glee Club holds auditions for those interested in joining. It is a multifaceted process which has been adapted to adhere to the Health & Safety Guidelines of the College, the City of Los Angeles, and the State of California. For Fall 2020 only, auditions will be online. Please fill out this form to start the audition process. The schedule is listed below, along with PDF's of the audition sheet music as well as rehearsal and performance tracks.
Please check out our Frequently Asked Questions at the bottom of this page. If you have specific questions, please contact Glee Club Manager Lulu Wiesemann.
I. Preliminary Audition
- Sign up for an audition
- Tuesday 8/25 10:00am-1:30pm PDT
- Wednesday 8/26 6:30-8:30pm PDT
- Sing the assigned folk song (list is below) for your voice part. Sheet music can be found below. Recording tracks for the assigned songs are also provided. You must sing the song with the track; do not sing a cappella!
- Soprano: I Love All Graceful Things (sheet music)
- Alto: Willow Song (sheet music)
- Tenor: Down by the Salley Gardens (sheet music)
- Bass: Isis and Osiris (sheet music)
- Prepare 1-2 minutes of another song of your choice (any style; show us what you love to do). It must be accompanied (not a cappella); if you do not have an accompaniment track, contact the director at email@example.com and she will make arrangements for one to be made for you.
- Your sight-reading skills will be tested.
II. If you pass the preliminaries
- Learn your part in the Quartet Audition piece. The Quartet Audition piece will be available Friday, August 28th. Download the Quartet Audition piece; you will need to learn your part. Section leaders will be available to help you.
- Sign up for a Quartet Audition time slot
- Rehearsal with current members of your section (required)
- Thursday 8/27 12:00-1:00pm PDT
- Quartet Auditions
- Tuesday 9/01 11:30am-1:30pm and 6:30-8:30pm PDT
Frequently Asked Questions
How many concerts does the Glee Club put on each year?
The Glee Club gives 5 to 6 full formal concerts on campus each year: Homecoming, Winter, Home (post-tour), Pops, Sinfonia combined concert, and sometimes a Spring Concert with College Chorus. Additionally, The Glee Club gives 4 to 5 concerts while on tour each January. Additionally, we sing for other events on campus as well as at venues in the community.
What is the weekly time commitment?
Glee Club is a 2-unit class, MUSC 121 and 122, which meets 4.5 hours per week, in 3 rehearsal periods. Additionally, there are 7-10 performances during the academic year, culminating in Commencement in mid-May.
Does Oxy have another choir I can join?
Yes! Oxy's other singing group is College Chorus. College Chorus meets Monday nights from 7:15 PM to 9:45 PM and performs one concert per semester. No formal audition is required, but you must have a preliminary meeting with the director. Additional information can be found on the College Chorus page.
I'm interested in joining an A Cappella group; can I just do that?
In order to join one of our small ensembles, the Accidentals, Cadence, or Bengalshop, you have to be a member in good standing of either College Chorus or Glee Club. There are also separate auditions for all of these groups. You can find more information on our A Cappella Groups page.
Does Glee Club travel?
Yes! The tradition of Glee Club touring goes back over 75 years and has enabled generations of members to share their music all over the world. Destinations alternate between local, regional and international spots and price varies with them. For more information, visit our Tour page.
If I am not accepted to Glee Club, can I audition again next year?
Yes! We encourage people who do not join Glee Club to brush up their skills in College Chorus and to audition again the following year. Many of our members have sung with College Chorus and have since joined the Glee Club and have loved being a part of both groups.
I want to join Glee Club, but I'm not a music major and I don't know if I have enough experience!
That's not a problem. In fact, most of our members aren't music majors and have all different musical backgrounds. If you're at all interested in joining, we highly recommend coming to auditions. Your supplementary song can be of any genre, so show us what you love to sing!