Interested in joining the Glee Club? You're in the right place.
The Glee Club dates back over 100 years and each new group of singers adds to the group's history and legacy. Much has changed since the Glee Club was first established, but it has always been a group devoted to the study and performance of advanced choral repertoire, with the more recent addition of world and pop music. In order to achieve this exceptional level of quality, members in the group commit a considerable amount of time to the group. 4.5 hours class time per week as well as performances, traveling, and competitions means that the Glee Club is a serious time commitment...but members (both past and present) say it’s worth it!
The Glee Club Community is an extremely welcoming, charismatic, and caring group. Our members play an active role in many organizations and offices on campus, and they represent majors from Theater and History to Physics and Politics and everything in between. Additionally, the Glee Club has come to be a significant presence on Oxy's campus and performs at a wide variety of campus events, as well as those around the community.
If you're interested in joining Glee Club, are a current member, or are one of our fans, you will find a number of helpful links below! If you're curious about College Chorus, Occidental's audition-free choir, you can find more information on the College Chorus page.
Each Fall during the first week of the semester, Glee Club holds auditions for those interested in joining. It is a multifaceted process that will be adapted to adhere to the current Health & Safety Guidelines of the College, the City of Los Angeles, and the State of California. Please fill out this form to start the audition process. The schedule is listed below, along with PDF's of the audition sheet music as well as rehearsal and performance tracks.
Please check out our Frequently Asked Questions at the bottom of this page. If you have specific questions, please contact Glee Club Director Desirée LaVertu.
I. Preliminary Audition
- Sign up for an audition
- Thursday, September 1 - 3:00pm-5:00pm, 6:30pm-8:00pm
- Friday, September 2 - 4:00pm-7:00pm
- Sing the assigned folk song (list is below) for your voice part. Sheet music can be found below. Recording tracks for the assigned songs are also provided for your practice convenience, but a pianist will accompany you during the audition. You must sing the song with the accompaniment; do not sing a cappella!
- Soprano: I Love All Graceful Things (sheet music)
- Alto: Willow Song (sheet music)
- Tenor: Down by the Salley Gardens (sheet music)
- Bass: Isis and Osiris (sheet music)
Prepare 2 minutes of another song of your choice (any style; show us what you love to do). It must be accompanied, not a cappella; please bring sheet music in the correct key for our pianist to play for you.
- Your sight-reading skills will be tested.
II. If you pass the preliminaries
- Sign up for a Quartet Audition time slot
- Rehearsal with current members of your section (required)
- Tuesday, September 6 - 12:00-1:00pm
- Quartet Auditions
- Tuesday, September 6 - 6:00-11:00pm
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many concerts does the Glee Club put on each year?
- What is the weekly time commitment?
- Does Oxy have another choir I can join?
- I'm interested in joining an A Cappella group; can I just do that?
- Does Glee Club travel?
- If I am not accepted to Glee Club, can I audition again next year?
- I want to join Glee Club, but I'm not a music major and I don't know if I have enough experience!