Interested in joining the Glee Club? You're in the right place.
Each Fall during the first week of the semester, Glee Club holds auditions for those interested in joining. It is a multifaceted process; detailed information can be found below.
All prospective members are encouraged to join the Glee Club for the annual Welcome Concert, this year on Tuesday, August 27th at 7:00 PM in Herrick Chapel. The concert is free and open to everyone. Prospective members are invited to meet the Glee Club afterwards for more information about the class, repertoire, auditions, and anything else.
Until then, please check out our Frequently Asked Questions at the bottom of this page.
I. Preliminary Audition
- Audition sign-ups are available on the door of Booth 220.
- Wednesday 8/28 6:00-10:00 PM in Bird Studio, Booth Hall
- Thursday 8/29 3:00-7:00 PM in Bird Studio, Booth Hall
- Sing the assigned folk song (list is below) for your voice part. Sheet music can be found below and will be located at Booth 220, in the Music Quad. An accompanist will be provided; do not sing a cappella!
- Prepare 1-2 minutes of another song of your choice (any style; show us what you love to do). It must be accompanied (not a cappella); please provide sheet music in the correct key for our accompanist.
- Your sight-reading skills will be tested.
II. If you pass the preliminaries
- Learn your part in the Quartet Audition piece. Download the Quartet Audition piece here, or get the sheet music on the door of Booth Hall 220; learn your part. Section leaders will be available to help you.
- Sign up for a Quartet Audition time slot on the door of Booth Hall 220.
- Rehearsal with current members (required)
- Tuesday 9/3 12:00-1:00 PM Booth 208
- Quartet Auditions
- Tuesday 9/3 6:00-11:00 PM Booth 204
Frequently Asked Questions
How many concerts does the Glee Club put on each year?
The Glee Club gives 5 to 6 full formal concerts on campus each year: Homecoming, Winter, Home (post-tour), Pops, Sinfonia combined concert, and sometimes a Spring Concert with College Chorus. Additionally, The Glee Club gives 4 to 5 concerts while on tour each January. Additionally, we sing for other events on campus as well as at venues in the community.
What is the weekly time commitment?
Glee Club is a 2-unit class, MUSC 121 and 122, which meets 4.5 hours per week, in 3 rehearsal periods. Once you add in performance time, some extra rehearsals, and tour, it gets a little more difficult to calculate. In short, be prepared to dedicate some time.
Glee seems like a big commitment, is there another choir I can join?
Yes! Oxy's other singing group is College Chorus. College Chorus meets Monday nights from 7:15 PM to 9:45 PM and performs one concert per semester. No formal audition is required, but you must have a preliminary meeting with the director.
I'm interested in joining an A Cappella group; can I just do that?
In order to join one of our small ensembles, the Accidentals, Cadence, or Bengalshop, you have to be a member in good standing of either College Chorus or Glee Club. There are also separate auditions for all of these groups. You can find more information on our A Cappella Groups page.
Does Glee Club travel?
Yes! The tradition of Glee Club touring goes back over 75 years and has enabled generations of members to share their music all over the world. Destinations alternate between local, regional and international spots and price varies with them. For more information, visit our Tour page.
If I am not accepted to Glee Club, can I audition again next year?
Yes! We encourage people who do not join Glee Club to brush up their skills in College Chorus and to audition again the following year. Many of our members have sung with College Chorus and have since joined the Glee Club and have loved being a part of both groups.
I want to join Glee Club, but I'm not a music major and I don't know if I have enough experience!
That's not a problem. In fact, most of our members aren't music majors and have all different musical backgrounds. If you're at all interested in joining, we highly recommend coming to auditions. Your supplementary song can be of any genre, so show us what you love to sing!