Follow the steps below to remove P2P file-sharing software from your computer.
The best way to avoid potential copyright violations (and, potentially, thousands of dollars of fines through the United States judicial system) is to remove all peer-to-peer file-sharing programs from your computer. Also, you should check the settings on any P2P applications installed on your computer to make sure they are not set to share by default.
Directions for removing P2P software
- Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
- Select a program, and then click Uninstall. Some programs include the option to change or repair the program in addition to uninstalling it, but many simply offer the option to uninstall. To change a program, click Change or Repair. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Quit all file-sharing programs.
- Locate the folder containing the P2P software that you want to remove. It is usually in the Applications folder.
- Double-click the P2P program's folder to examine its contents.
- Some Macintosh-compatible P2P programs come with an "uninstall" program. If you see an "Uninstall" or "Uninstaller" program, run it to remove the P2P software. If you do not see such a program, go back to the Applications folder, and move the P2P program's folder into the trash.
- Empty your computer's trash folder.
- Go to the Apple menu and select Restart to reboot your computer.
If you have any questions, please contact ITS Help Desk at 323-259-2880