The policies listed here advise you on using Library services. Have a question about a policy? Please email the contact(s) listed in the policy. If no contact is specified, please send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our building is open to visitors from 9am to 5pm. We ask that you wear a mask at all times and refrain from eating or drinking while in the building. Community members and alumni visiting the Academic Commons must be vaccinated and sign in at the front desk upon arrival. For more information about campus-wide policies (including masks), please visit the Back to Oxy website.
Alumni need to purchase an Occidental College (Oxy) Alumni ID card from the Card Office for $20.00 before they register at the Information Desk.
Library Services for Guests
- Guest Short-term Access passes ( 3 weeks free, M-F 9am-5pm)
- Guest Semester Access passes ($20 M-F 9am-5pm)
- Courtesy Use for Visiting Scholars
- Academic Referral by an Occidental College Department
- Occidental Partners, Consortium Members, Institutional Guests
- Special Collections & College Archives
- Who can borrow and for how long?
- Laptop Borrowing Policy
- What are the penalties for overdue or lost items?
- How do I file an appeal for penalties on overdue or lost items?
- What are Link+ and Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
- Additional Notes on Borrowing Privileges
- How do I reserve a locker?
The library’s Tech Lending program offers a collection of technological devices and audio/visual equipment for checkout as well as a reservable audio booth to all current Oxy students, faculty, and staff. All available items are conveniently listed by category on the Tech Lending Collection site and can be picked up at the front desk of the Academic Commons.
Borrowing Eligibility: Tech Lending items are available for check out to all current Occidental College students, faculty, and staff with a current Occidental College ID.
Loan Period: The standard loan period for devices and equipment in the Tech Lending Collection is seven days.
Overdue Fees: Fines for overdue items accrue $1.00 per day. Replacement costs for lost or damaged items vary according to the cost of the item(s).
How to Request Items: To request an item from the Tech Lending collection follow the steps below:
- Navigate to OneSearch, the Library’s online catalog (here).
- Sign in by clicking “Sign In” at the top right corner of the page and entering your Oxy email and password.
- Search for the item:
- Search for the item by keyword using the OneSearch search bar.
- Navigate to the Tech Lending Collection (here) to search available items by category. To navigate to this page, click the ellipsis at the top of the library catalog home screen, then click “Collection Discovery” and select “Tech Lending @ Oxy.”
- Once you have found the item, click on the item to open the item’s record.
- Under the “Availability” heading, click “Request.”
- Click “Send Request.”
- Repeat steps 3-7 to request additional items.
- When your request has been processed, you will receive an email notification that your requested item(s) is ready for pickup at the front desk of the Academic Commons.
Audio Booth: Reservations for the audio booth can be made in 3-hour blocks. Audio Booth occupancy is limited to 2 people at a time. To make a reservation follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the audio booth booking site here, or by scanning the QR Code posted outside the audio booth.
- Select the date of your reservation by clicking “Go to date” at the bottom of the page.
- Select an available time block by clicking the green blocks at the corresponding times on the timeline.
- Note: to navigate the timeline click the right and left arrows next to “Go To Date”; to advance to the next available time slot on the timeline, click “Next Available.”
- Confirm your reservation by clicking “Confirm Booking.”
- To check in to the audio booth, check out the audio booth kit at the front desk of the Academic Commons with your Oxy ID. Note: The audio booth kit includes a key to the audio booth, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface, Shure SRH440 headphones, Shure SM57 microphone, and XLR cables.
DVD/Blu-ray viewing: Need to watch a DVD or Blu-ray but don't have a player? Not only do we have DVD and Blu-ray players, but we also have spaces for you to watch them. Check out our handy guide to watching DVD and Blu-rays in the Academic Commons here: https://libguides.oxy.edu/DVD_viewing
Need Assistance? If you cannot locate an item or have questions about Tech Lending items or services, Oxy librarians are available to assist you during the library’s open hours at the front desk of the Academic Commons and online via the “Chat with a Librarian” feature. To chat online with a librarian, navigate to the Oxy Library homepage (here) and click “chat online” in the blue bubble. You may also reach a librarian for Tech Lending assistance at any time by emailing email@example.com.
The Occidental College library provides services, facilities, and technological resources to support the College’s educational, research, artistic, professional, and community-service goals. The following policies are intended to govern the use of the facilities and collections
- Smoking is not permitted. This includes the use of electronic cigarettes and vaporizers.
- Designated service animals are allowed inside the building; other animals are not allowed.
- Bicycles should be parked at campus bike racks.
- Display of posters, distribution of literature, or solicitation is prohibited (except in designated areas). A request should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org for approval.
- Professional filming or photography inside the library facility must be approved in advance. Please visit Filming @ Oxy for more information.
- Library reading and designated group study rooms are accessible to all Occidental patrons first come first serve. They can be reserved up to one month in advance for a maximum time of two hours only by Occidental College Faculty, students, and staff via Master Calendar. Library room capacity must be considered before booking based upon the estimated number of attendees.
- Non-Oxy affiliated patrons have to visit the Conference Services website in regard to planning an event or reserving a space
- Computers and other media devices in public spaces should not be used to access or display content that is inappropriate, prohibited, or unlawful.
- When the security gate alarm is triggered, guests should approach the Information Desk to clear their belongings before they proceed to the exit doors.
- Disruptive behavior, discrimination, or abuse against others is not permitted. Patrons behaving in such a manner may be asked to leave. Disruptive behavior includes but is not limited to verbal abuse, excessive noise, or any other activity that might disturb the safety and work of others.
- Anyone who destroys or tampers with library material or property may lose library privileges.
- Occidental College library reserves the right to refuse access and borrowing privileges to any person who fails to follow library regulations.
In addition to cash gifts received through the College's Annual Fund campaign, the Library welcomes the opportunity to discuss gifts of materials to the circulating collection. Since the Library has very limited space for collections, we can only consider gifts that build resources to support the curriculum. Library staff would be happy to examine collections in their current location or review an inventory of titles and advise potential donors on their disposition. Potential donors should contact us at email@example.com.
Likewise, the Library Special Collections is refining its scope to focus on specific subject areas that support the curriculum and academic mission. Of particular note and interest are materials related to the history of the College, Northeast Los Angeles, and College's place in the history, society, and culture of Los Angeles. Please discuss prospective gifts of rare and unique printed, manuscript, graphic, and media materials with Kevin Mulroy, College Librarian (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Braun Room is restricted to Special Collections programs and selected scholarly events, film shoots and Administration events. All events are to be arranged through the Special Collections department or the College Librarian.
To plan an event with Special Collections, please contact email@example.com.
Special Collections uses the College Master Calendar to schedule events. Users may also make requests via Master Calendar/Resource 25.
Campus Services & Campus Filming and Unreel Productions are to contact Special Collections directly to arrange walkthroughs and filming. Call 323-259-2852 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated August 19, 2022