The policies listed here advise you on using Library services. Have a question about a policy? Please email the contact(s) listed in the policy. If no contact is specified, please send your questions to email@example.com.
Current Occidental College students, faculty, and staff are eligible to use the library facilities and resources with their Oxy IDs.
Alumni need to purchase an Occidental College (Oxy) Alumni ID card from the Card Office for $20.00 (plus an additional $20 for library building access after 5pm and before 9am), before they register at the Circulation Desk.
Library Services for Guests
- Guest Short-term Access passes ( 3 weeks free, M-F 9am-5pm)
- Guest Semester Access passes ($20 M-F 9am-5pm)
- Courtesy Use for Visiting Scholars
- Academic Referral by an Occidental College Department
- Occidental Partners, Consortium Members, Institutional Guests
- Special Collections & College Archives
The Carl F. Braun Fine Book Room returns to its original purpose as a special collections room presenting fine print and rare books in the atmosphere of a library in a private home. Special Collections is increasingly using the Braun Room for in-class instruction and research sessions, shelving of fragile and unique books, and special print & digital culture events. In addition, the College is promoting this space for special Administrative events and film productions.
Thus, for 2019/20, the Braun Room is restricted to Special Collections programs and selected scholarly events, film shoots and Administration events. The one exception to these restricted uses are Library and ITS staff meetings of 20 or more in order to accommodate the limited space available in the Academic Commons building. All events are to be arranged through the Special Collections department or the College Librarian.
To plan an event with Special Collections, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Collections uses the College Master Calendar to schedule events. Users may also make requests via Master Calendar/Resource 25.
Campus Services & Campus Filming and Unreel Productions are to contact Special Collections directly to arrange walkthroughs and filming. Call 323-259-2852 or email email@example.com
Updated August 28, 2019
- Who can borrow and for how long?
- Laptop Borrowing Policy
- What are the penalties for overdue or lost items?
- How do I file an appeal for penalties on overdue or lost items?
- What are Link+ and Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
- Additional Notes on Borrowing Privileges
- How do I reserve a locker?
The Occidental College library provides services, facilities, and technological resources to support the College’s educational, research, artistic, professional, and community-service goals. The following policies are intended to govern the use of the facilities and collections
- Smoking is not permitted. This includes the use of electronic cigarettes and vaporizers.
- Designated service animals are allowed inside the building; other animals are not allowed.
- Bicycles should be parked at campus bike racks.
- Display of posters, distribution of literature, or solicitation is prohibited (except in designated areas). A request should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org for approval.
- Professional filming or photography inside the library facility must be approved in advance. A request should be submitted to email@example.com for approval.
- Library reading and designated group study rooms are accessible to all Occidental patrons first come first serve. They can be reserved up to one month in advance for a maximum time of two hours only by Occidental College Faculty, students, and staff via Master Calendar. Library room capacity must be considered before booking based upon the estimated number of attendees.
- Non-Oxy affiliated patrons have to visit the Conference Services website in regard to planning an event or reserving a space
- Computers and other media devices in public spaces should not be used to access or display content that is inappropriate, prohibited, or unlawful.
- When the security gate alarm is triggered, guests should approach the Circulation Desk to clear their belongings before they proceed to the exit doors.
- Disruptive behavior, discrimination, or abuse against others is not permitted. Patrons behaving in such a manner may be asked to leave. Disruptive behavior includes but is not limited to verbal abuse, excessive noise, or any other activity that might disturb the safety and work of others.
- Anyone who destroys or tampers with library material or property may lose library privileges.
- Occidental College library reserves the right to refuse access and borrowing privileges to any person who fails to follow library regulations.
In addition to cash gifts received through the College's Annual Fund campaign, the Library welcomes the opportunity to discuss gifts of materials to the circulating collection. Since the Library has very limited space for collections, we can only consider gifts that build resources to support the curriculum. Library staff would be happy to examine collections in their current location or review an inventory of titles and advise potential donors on their disposition. Potential donors should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Likewise, the Library Special Collections is refining its scope to focus on specific subject areas that support the curriculum and academic mission. Of particular note and interest are materials related to the history of the College, Northeast Los Angeles, and College's place in the history, society, and culture of Los Angeles. Please discuss prospective gifts of rare and unique printed, manuscript, graphic, and media materials with Dale Ann Stieber, Special Collections Librarian and College Archivist (email@example.com).