Know what happens if you decide to take a leave from the College.

If you decide to take a leave of absence or withdraw from the College, the Office of Financial Aid will be notified by the Registrar’s Office. Your financial aid file will be placed in an inactive status until your return. More info on leaves of absence

Re-Applying for Aid

Remember to re-apply for financial aid by March 2nd of the academic year in which you wish to return. For example, submit application requirements by March 2, 2024 if you plan to return anytime during the 2024-2025 academic year.

Repaying your Loans 

If you have received any type of student loan while enrolled, Occidental is required to notify the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) that you are no longer enrolled at the College. If you leave Oxy and are not enrolled at another institution at least half-time (6 units), your loans will go into repayment. 

Even if you plan to return to Occidental within a semester or two, we must still notify NSLDS of your leave; you are responsible for making payments on your loan(s) while you are not enrolled.

Exit Counseling

Federal law also requires you to complete exit counseling. If you have more than one type of loan, you will need to complete an exit counseling session for each loan program.

If you do not complete your exit counseling, a hold will be placed on your academic records (e.g. transcripts) until your exit counseling is completed.

Counseling for Occidental Low Interest Loans or Occidental No Interest Loans is offered by Occidental's Student Business Services Office.

For Subsidized or Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans, you need to complete your exit counseling via

Contact Financial Aid
Office of Financial Aid

AGC Room 119
Occidental College
1600 Campus Road F-35
Los Angeles, CA 90041-3314